S-10 & Blazer 1982-2005
The S-10 and Blazer was arguably the most versatile and accessorizable mid-size truck and SUV on the market.
Platform: S/T-series & GMT 330
View Poll Results: What do you think is wrong?!
Timing chain needs to be replaced
0%
Replace Distributor
0%
Something electrical
0%
Set it on fire?
0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Could my problem be timing?! Won't start!

Search this Thread

Old May 8th, 2013, 1:50 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Could my problem be timing?! Won't start!

2000 blazer. 4.3 vortec. About a week ago it started to overheat. Never got HOT but temp gauge went up. Noticed a faint squeal when i turned off the engine. Figured ok, water pump going bad.. I'll fix it come payday.. I only drive at most ten miles at a time and that's only a couple days a week. Anyway. Yesterday morning went out it started fine. Made it about half a mile and it cut out like it was out of gas. It was low but not dry. Put 2 gallons in, nothing. It tries to start but just won't. Fuel pump has great pressure, fuel filter is good. Poured gas down the TB to see if it would fire. Nope. Next I checked wires and plugs, they looked pretty crappy so i put new ones in. Distributor cap and rotor seem fine. Clean connector points, continuity, etc. tested ing coil and ecm. Both fine.. I'm at a loss.. At this point im wondering if it's timing? Could this be the problem?
Old May 11th, 2013, 7:22 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Any codes stored in the ECM? You replaced plugs & wires, are you getting spark?How'd you test the ECM? If you're worried about timing, do a compression check.
Old May 11th, 2013, 10:46 PM
Super Moderator
Professional Mechanic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Did you actually check for spark at the end of the plug wires? Did you check the fuel pressure with a gauge? If you have correct fuel pressure and spark, then you need to check compression (will verify if timing chain jumped) and exhaust back pressure.
Old May 14th, 2013, 6:03 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Ok by "checking" the ECM, i simply meant I bought a new one... Still nothing. I did a compression check.. By sticking my finger in the spark plug hole while my husband tried to start it. Checked all 6.. Backfired on 4 and scared the bajeezus out of my husband... hahahah.. All of them seemed to have good compression but I wasn't convinced so I went through the trouble of taking all the mess off to get to the timing chain cover (figured out while I have to add oil every now and then).... Anyway. With that being said. timing chain and sprockets look fine. A little play in the chain but not much and surely not enough to slip or cause the engine to loop. HOWEVER, and I'm not sure if this has anything to do with squat but I discovered the genius who did the engine swap was apparently in a rush and when he tightened down the oil pan it tweaked the gasket and it was squished all funktified at the bottom of the timing chain cover and from what I can tell covering (or at the very least partially) the crankshaft sensor. Which I've since replaced as well in addition to dropping the oil pan and correcting the gasket issue. (that engineering could have been a little better, WHAT A PAIN! LOL).. Before I took this thing apart.. Anyway. I checked the spark the "good ole boy" way and used a screwdriver. Wires aren't crossed. Everything seems fine.. I'm really at a loss. Oh and fuel pressure was at 'roughly' 61 psi.. that should be plenty. Fuel filter has also been replaced and I went ahead and said "what the hell" and did the front brakes while I had the tires off since that's apparently the easiest way to get the spark plugs.. lol I'm really starting to go nuts. I need my truck back! I have 3 kids and I can't get to a grocery store, their little league games. etc. Any suggestions are appreciated. I'm no mechanic but I have a brain and a computer and I have done my share of reading and theory testing and still nothing..