S-10 & Blazer 1982-2005
The S-10 and Blazer was arguably the most versatile and accessorizable mid-size truck and SUV on the market.
Platform: S/T-series & GMT 330

Distributor Alignment help

Search this Thread

Old June 12th, 2011, 5:29 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Distributor Alignment help

Hello all! New to the forum and have a few questions about a 90 s10 2.5l I just bought. I have been working to get the timing set correctly on it since the last guy really did not know what he was doing. The timing when I checked it was set around 20º at idle.... When I saw that I new something was wrong. The truck had NO power under light throttle and was spitting and putting. Idle is horrible and unstable. The gas petal has to be pumped to get the engine started. When I got the truck running, I set the timing to 8º and then turned off the engine. On the next restart, the engine popped back through intake and it caught on fire for a sec. I then hand turned the engine to 0º TDC and checked the #1 cylinder to ensure pressure was coming out of the spark plug hole on the up stroke before it got to TDC. Then I pulled the distributor cap off to see where the button was facing. It is facing towards the transmission before the #1 plug socket on the cap. According to the book, it should be facing the #4 plug socket on the cap? Can someone help me get this thing correctly timed? I can't tell if the distributor is even aligned correctly. The autozone manual does not give alot of info on it.

Last edited by atokatim; June 12th, 2011 at 5:32 PM.
Old June 13th, 2011, 10:44 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I guess there is no one on this site. I tried at least.