S-10 & Blazer 1982-2005
The S-10 and Blazer was arguably the most versatile and accessorizable mid-size truck and SUV on the market.
Platform: S/T-series & GMT 330

Drivers side rear tire will not spin forwards!

Search this Thread

Old December 22nd, 2008, 11:59 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Drivers side rear tire will not spin forwards!

I have a 5spd 1999 Chevy S10 with 2WD (rear wheel drive). I got stuck in my parking lot because of the snow. We dug out all of the tires and came to realize the drivers side tire will not turn forwards. The rear passenger side tire spins forward. When I put the truck in reverse, both tires drive in reverse. It's almost as those something is stopping that one tire from turning forward. It just drags while the other tire tries to push the truck. I had to get a ride to work after spending 2 hours shoveling and trying to get my truck out. []

Any ideas of what this could be? I am thinking of having it towed to the mechanic.
Old December 22nd, 2008, 4:18 PM
CF Beginner

Default RE: Drivers side rear tire will not spin forwards!

Sounds like your e-brake is frozen. You have to heat it up,sometimes reversing does it because of the friction(heat)but dont do it to much because it will wear down your pads,you can also try banging on your drum with a hammer ,but dont hit the disc if you have rear disc brakes.
Old December 22nd, 2008, 4:33 PM
CF Beginner

If you take it to a mechanic he will probably tell you that it is the style of differential GM HAD to have in these trucks. $10 says it's normal, your rear end does not engage both back tires(forgot the exact name of the diff style). ANY person who has tried to do a burnout in a s-10 can tell you GM cursed us with the one wheel peel. I have wanted to upgrade my diff. just because it would actually have better driveablity.
Old December 23rd, 2008, 11:10 AM
CF Beginner

I know that only one wheel is the torque, but it was spinning and the other one should catch. It was buried in a snowbank and I had to dig it out, so it is a good possibility that the ebrake is frozen on that wheel. I do use the ebrake everytime I park. It's just strange that it will turn in reverse, but it won't turn when put into drive... too bad reverse goes into a snowbank!
Old December 23rd, 2008, 11:32 AM
CF Beginner

If it's not bogging down then more then likely it's normal, it is possible its frozen. If you could jack it up and see if it'll spin freely it's normal.