S-10 & Blazer 1982-2005
The S-10 and Blazer was arguably the most versatile and accessorizable mid-size truck and SUV on the market.
Platform: S/T-series & GMT 330

Electrical problem in 96 S-10 P/U

Search this Thread

Old December 12th, 2011, 10:37 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Electrical problem in 96 S-10 P/U

I am new to this forum and I just bought a 96 S-10 pickup for commuting to and from work! So far its a great truck, still ticking along with 161K miles! One problem I've run across is the inside lights.

Neither the dome light, map lights (in rearview) or the floor lights (should illuminate when door opens) work!! I found that the fuse located in Slot 2 was blown. However, when I tried to replace the 20A fuse, the new one blows right away! Also, the cigarette lighter port doesn't work. However, the other two accessory 12V ports DO work.

Could there be something wrong with the cig lighter creating a short to ground or maybe a relay for these interior lights that is shorted out causing constant power through the circuit?

It's pretty dark in the truck without lights (other than the dash and CD player lights)!! Please help!
Old December 14th, 2011, 6:43 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have fixed my own problem! The issue was the driver side door switch. With the switch connected the multimeter read over 14V. After removing it from the circuit, the reading was just over 12V. With the switch out of the circuit, I replace the fuse and it did not blow and the lights worked. I took the switch apart, finding some gunk across 2 of the contacts inside, possibly causing the switch to ground out. After cleaning it up and putting it back together, everything works! Also, I did not realize until reading other similar problems that the horn was also affected. Bottom line, this switch is very cheap and could break, malfunction, or become gunked up easily. To trouble shoot, elminate one switch at a time, checking the voltage across the fuse contact.