S-10 & Blazer 1982-2005
The S-10 and Blazer was arguably the most versatile and accessorizable mid-size truck and SUV on the market.
Platform: S/T-series & GMT 330

Failing Inspection Please Help

Search this Thread

Old April 12th, 2012, 1:40 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nice

Originally Posted by shawnvw
Just found this little chart that confirms my suspician....

System Status and Drive Cycle For Satisfying the Federal Inspection/Maintenance (I/M 240) Regulations
The system status selection is included in the scan tool System Info menu.
Several states require that the I/M 240 (OBD ll system) pass on-board tests for the major diagnostics prior to having a vehicle emission inspection. This is also a requirement to renew license plates in some areas.
Using a scan tool, the technician can observe the system status, complete or not complete, in order to verify that the vehicle meets the criteria which complies with local area requirements. Using the system status display, any of the following systems or a combination of the systems may be monitored for I/M readiness:[align=left]•
The catalyst[/align][align=left]•
The HO2S[/align][align=left]•
The HO2S heater[/align]
Important:The system status display indicates only whether or not the test has been completed. The system status display does not necessarily mean that the test has passed. If a Failed Last Test indication is present for a DTC associated with one of the above systems, that test is failed. Diagnosis and repair is necessary in order to meet the I/M 240 requirement. Verify that the vehicle passes all of the diagnostic tests associated with the displayed system status prior to returning the vehicle to the customer. Refer to the Typical OBD II Drive Cycle table to use as a guide to complete the I/M 240 system status tests. More than one drive cycle may be needed.
Following a DTC info clear, the system status will clear only for the systems affected by any DTCs stored. Following a battery disconnect or a control module replacement, all of the system status information will clear.

Typical OBD II Drive Cycle

Diagnostic Time Schedule for I/M Readiness

Vehicle Drive Status What is Monitored?

Cold Start, coolant temperature less than 50°C (122°F) --

Idle 2.5 minutes in Drive (Auto) Neutral (Man), A/C HO2S Heater, Misfire, Secondary Air, Fuel Trim, EVAP Purge
and rear defogger ON

A/C off, accelerate to 90km/h (55mph), 1/2 throttle. Misfire, Fuel Trim, Purge

3 minutes of Steady State - Cruise at 90km/h (55mph) Misfire, EGR, Secondary Air, Fuel Trim, HO2S, EVAP Purge

Clutch engaged (Man), no braking, decelerate to 32km/h (20mph) EGR, Fuel Trim, EVAP Purge

Accelerate to 90-97km/h (55-60mph), 3/4 throttle Misfire, Fuel Trim, EVAP Purge

5 minutes of Steady State Cruise at 90-97km/h (55-60mph) Catalyst Monitor, Misfire, EGR, Fuel Trim, HO2S, EVAP Purge

Decelerate, no breaking. End of Drive Cycle EGR, EVAP Purge

Total time of OBD II Drive Cycle 12 minutes
Very cool! Followed this and only one system is not ready now; catalyst. 60mph for 5 minutes isn't easy as far in-town as I am. I hope AZ emissions will test me anyway since I only failed on EGR and it's clean now...
Old September 24th, 2013, 1:57 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Believe it!!!!!If the calipers are sticking on the brakes these will not get ready!!!!(if battery was disconnected!