S-10 & Blazer 1982-2005
The S-10 and Blazer was arguably the most versatile and accessorizable mid-size truck and SUV on the market.
Platform: S/T-series & GMT 330

ugh, bad day got worse!

Search this Thread

Old June 7th, 2009, 9:27 PM
Site Moderator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ugh, bad day got worse!

Had a long day at work, but that is besides the point. I got home around 4 and decided to try and find out where the squeaking is coming from in my belt assembly. I recently did the AD244 alternator upgrade with a new tensioner and new belt. I took off the belt, and the tensioner. I think the front pulley on the alternator is squeaking when it's cold. Can I WD-40 that or something. Well, I went to put the stuff back on after tweaking it and greasing it and when I tightened the bolt on the belt tensioner, I tightened it too much with my torque wrench that I snapped the bolt in two. Bad enough that I snapped it, is that I snapped it right down at the base of the alternator bracket that I can't grab onto it, like I would be able to pull it out anyway. Well, I pulled everything apart, belt assembely, fan shroud, and other stuff and pulled the alternator and yanked out the alternator bracket. I am going to take it to a garage tomorrow to see if they can drill it out or something. So, right now I have no belt assembly, alternator, or bracket lol. It's a perfect opportunity though to clean them like crazy. The fan shroud and alternator bracket were FILTHY, so all in all it's not bad. The worse thing that can happen is I will have to run to the junkyard and yank an alternator bracket out of a blazer and stop at th store and get a new bolt for the tensioner if I can't find one at the junkyard. Eh, it'll all work out I hope. Luckily I have tomorrow off from work whew!
Old June 8th, 2009, 12:00 AM
CF Monarch

Received 26 Likes on 9 Posts

Ouch. That sucks man... I hope you find everything alright.
Old June 8th, 2009, 12:12 AM
Super Moderator
ROTM Coordinator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I feel ya man, Hey your SuperDave! you can do it! I was in a small attic all day running Coax & Cat6 cable, drilling holes with 6 foot long bits, I am full of fiberglass from the insulation and all itchy if it makes you feel better.
Old June 8th, 2009, 12:15 AM
CF Monarch

You develop a knack for staying off the insulation when you are in various attics each day like I am...
Old June 8th, 2009, 12:18 AM
Super Moderator
ROTM Coordinator

If I only had a sweatshirt, yea, you spend more time in attics than me, this one was only 3 feet at the peak and trying not to fall thru the drywall
Old June 8th, 2009, 8:18 PM
Site Moderator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I spent an hour in my attic one day running cable for my bedroom before we got dish network. I then went up there a couple of months ago and ran audio cables for the dish network since we have a dual dvr box in the family room which runs that tv and mine in my bedroom. The ceiling is about 5 1/2 feet and I am 6' 6" and it's an old house with nails sticking through the roof. Luckily I didn't get myself at all. The only hard part is with the new addition, they had to cut a hole in the old roof for us to crawl through and I have to twist myself like a pretzel to get through lol.

Well, the blazer is all fixed. I took it to a garage where my family's mechanic works and he referred me to a machine shop in town that did it for me for $35. I went to Home Depot and found a bolt the closest to the bolt for the belt tensioner (I couldn't find the one from the old tensioner). I cleaned eveything in the area of the alternator bracket and then put everything back together and it works fine. Can't tell yet if it will squeak. I will find that out tomorrow. The last time when I took the belt off and then put it back on, it didn't squeak that night. The next more it sounded like a mouse and then it went away after the engine heated up. Took about a minute then it went away. The past few weeks it has been a little louder and takes about 3 minutes for it to go away.
Old June 8th, 2009, 10:40 PM
CF Monarch

I'm 6'6" as well. I know exactly what you mean. Except...well I do it daily

Glad to hear that ther Blazer is fixed!
Old June 9th, 2009, 1:06 AM
Super Moderator
ROTM Coordinator

6' 6" dam , I thought I was tall , I'm 6' 2".

Since this thread turned into an attic conversation, here is what I have been dealing with....

I got those dam nails sticking thru the roof too.
Attached Thumbnails ugh, bad day got worse!-img_1442.jpg   ugh, bad day got worse!-img_1437.jpg   ugh, bad day got worse!-img_1440.jpg