S-10 & Blazer 1982-2005
The S-10 and Blazer was arguably the most versatile and accessorizable mid-size truck and SUV on the market.
Platform: S/T-series & GMT 330

Fuel pump noise

Search this Thread

Old May 1st, 2012, 9:19 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel pump noise

96 s10 4.3l x 5spd 160k

The fuel pump has a constant high pitch whine or buzz sound. I can here it even if in the cab with windows up(not super loud that way though). From reading on here it seems to mean it's on it's way out.

My oil pressure also doesn't work. I understand that the fuel pump gets it's power from the the oil pressure switch. Would this be effecting the pump?

I don't want to put out the $ for a new pump. They're pretty expensive for these chevys. Can i rebuild it if it is the pump?
Old May 1st, 2012, 10:25 PM
CF Monarch

Received 337 Likes on 318 Posts

They do make a rebuild kit for a fuel pump. Do not buy a cheap fuel pump, they do not last. Either way you have to remove the pump from the tank. The oil pump is mechanical and not electrical. I think what you are saying is that you are getting oil pressure but it is not reading on the gauge. Check the fuses and check the oil pressure sending unit.
Old May 2nd, 2012, 9:28 AM
CF Beginner

Yes. My truck acts like it has oil pressure. My oil pressure gauges is just pegged out anytime the truck is running.

I pointed that out because I understand that the fuel pump is wired through the oil pressure sensor and the ignition. So initially when you turn your truck the ingnition allows the pump to work until is starts. Then the oil pressure sensor does. The idea is if you don't have oil pressure, it will cut out the fuel pump so you don't toast your engine.

I was wondering if my faulty gauge or sensor would be affecting the pump.
Old May 2nd, 2012, 10:17 AM
Site Ambassador

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's a common misconception. The fuel pump relay trips on when you turn the key on (not start), primes the fuel system for a few seconds, then trips off. Once the engine is running, the computer receives an ignition signal and tells the pump relay to trip back on. Some GM vehicles (like yours) have a secondary fuel pump feed wire that runs through the oil pressure switch. It's purpose is to keep the pump running should the relay fail. It's not a safety feature to kill the engine in case you lose oil pressure, although it will kill the engine if the relay happens to go out at the same time as the oil pressure. Fords have that "safety" feature, not GM. If your pump is making a loud whine, prepare to replace it. What you're hearing is the electric motor not having a fun time.

Last edited by Camaro 69; May 2nd, 2012 at 10:39 AM.
Old May 3rd, 2012, 10:16 PM
CF Beginner

Even if it wazn't the intent it worked out to be a good idea