S-10 & Blazer 1982-2005
The S-10 and Blazer was arguably the most versatile and accessorizable mid-size truck and SUV on the market.
Platform: S/T-series & GMT 330

How hard is it to replace CATALYTIC CONVERTER?

Search this Thread

Old June 12th, 2014, 5:35 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question How hard is it to replace CATALYTIC CONVERTER?

Let me give you some background info before you answer the question.

This is for a 1998 Chevy Blazer S10 with 4.3L V-6 2-wheel drive and 4-door model belonging to by girlfriend who in the original owner and it now has 200,000 miles on it.

A few days ago she started it up and heard what I would call a "rattling" sound coming from approximately the underside/middle of the vehicle. To me I was guessing it was a rusted muffler or other exhaust component to include perhaps a bracket that rusted out. I took a broom stick while it was running a pushed on the muffler, exhaust pipe, and the catalytic converter slightly from the drivers side while laying on the ground. The "rattle" seemed to stop whenever I applied slight pressure. I really could not discern exactly the source of the sound so I told the girlfriend to take it to a couple of places so they could put it on a lift to find the source of the noise. She did this and both places told her it was the CAT. Apparently, it was said that the CAT is just old and most likely some of the ceramic honeycomb inside deteriorated and pieces of the honeycomb are rattling inside the CAT. My girlfriend likes to describe the sound more like the sound of "marbles" or "rocks" rattling in a can while the vehicle is idling. She doesn't hear it when she is driving it at speed. Assuming the two shops are correct then the CAT needs to be replaced. So my questions are:

1. Does this sound like a correct analysis from the shops? I should have stated the vehicle otherwise runs fine and there is no loss of power although the girlfriend says that over the last two years her gas mileage dropped from about 16 mpg to around 12 mpg. The mpg didn't drop over night.

2. How hard is it for a weekend garage warrior to change out the CAT with the use of a couple of ramps and typical moderate-level mechanic tools? Is this a knuckle buster or is it as simple as unbolting the old one and putting in the new one. The assumption here is that I would not be purchasing a "generic" CAT but a direct fit CAT.

Thanks in advance for any enlightenment you can provide here...
Old July 14th, 2014, 12:58 PM
CF Beginner

I wanted to close this thread by thanking everyone for giving me input on my question of difficulty changing out the CAT. I did end up changing out the CAT myself.

I took the advice I received about spraying down the flange bolts with liquid wrench. I sprayed the bolts several times while the CAT was hot then again the night before removing the bolts while the bolts were cold. I also sprayed the O2 sensor.

All bolts apparently are pressed into the flange from the muffler and also the flange of the old CAT to the exhaust manifold. The nuts were all very easy to remove and took perhaps ten minutes to get all six off. Also the bolts are pressed into the flanges it was very easy to push the muffler back to get the CAT disconnected easily. While you can reuse the bolts that are pressed in the muffler side flange the bolts on the manifold side are pressed into the old CAT so you can't easily reuse them. Also, the O2 sensor easily came out using a borrowed O2 sensor socket.

The most difficulty I had was with the rubber insulator hangers. These insulators are heavy duty in that they are reinforced with steel belts. Even though I sprayed the hangers with WD40 I wasn't able to get enough leverage from under the car to squeeze them off. In the end I just took a screwdriver and forced them off without regard for being able to reuse them. At $6 per rubber insulator it wasn't worth the aggravation of spending the time and effort to save them. If they were made totally of rubber without the steel belts they'd probably be flexible enough to get off without damage.

The CAT went in easily and the flange bolts were torqued to spec as was the O2 sensor. Again, I had to supply new bolts/nuts for the flange on the manifold side. There is really a lot of room under there with this particular vehicle so it never was a knuckle buster. Taking out one of the hanger brackets was necessary to easily remove the length of the CAT out but the hanger bracket was very easy to remove and only took two minutes.

In the end this was a very worthwhile job to do for a weekend garage warrior. The total cost of the job breaks down as:

$178 MagnaFlow direct fit CAT (delivered cost)
$12 two (2) rubber reinforced insulator hangers from O'Reillys
$6 three (3) each of stainless steel bolts, nuts, lock washers
COST was $196

Keep in mind the old OEM CAT containing platinum, paladium and rhodium will be sold to a recycler with a quoted price of $110. Shipping will be $11 so the net is $99.

TOTAL COST $196 - $99 (recycle) = $97

The $97 compares to the best quote the girlfriend got from calling a number of places was $346. Consider, they probably would have kept the old CAT to recycle for themselves then that is $346 + $99 = $445

Was it worth doing for her? $97 her cost plus some of my time versus $445 to have someone else do it....you make the call....
Old July 14th, 2014, 2:22 PM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

Thanks for the follow up!
Please do follow up on the price you get for recycling the old cat... I have one sitting on the side of the house I need to do something with, if the payout is worth it I'll take it in
Old August 7th, 2014, 5:57 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by in2pro
Thanks for the follow up!
Please do follow up on the price you get for recycling the old cat... I have one sitting on the side of the house I need to do something with, if the payout is worth it I'll take it in
Here's the followup...

My girlfriend ended up selling it to Sparrow Metals. The owner, Jim, went out of his way to answer all questions quickly via email, gave the best price of $110 and was very quick to pay her the $110 via PayPal using the friends/family option so that she didn't have to pay any PayPal fees to receive money. At your option he will also mail you a certified check instead of PayPal. It cost her $12 to ship it via FedEx Ground which was the very best shipping cost. In the end the $98 in profit went a long way to offset the cost of the $163 she paid for the MagnaFlow direct fit Cat replacement.
Old August 7th, 2014, 9:32 PM
Administrator

Thanks that is good to know
I shot an email off this evening to a couple of recycling places here local with the details of the one I have to see if it has any value...
Old August 8th, 2014, 5:20 PM
Administrator

the recycle place gave me $30 for the cat out of the Caravan...its a tank of gas for the van...
Not bad considering I was going to put it out on the curb for bulk pick up...