S-10 & Blazer 1982-2005
The S-10 and Blazer was arguably the most versatile and accessorizable mid-size truck and SUV on the market.
Platform: S/T-series & GMT 330

Manual 99 S10 won't start even when push-started

Search this Thread

Old June 12th, 2016, 5:07 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Manual 99 S10 won't start even when push-started

I can't get my 1999 S10 2.2l 5-speed to crank. It was working fine as far as I know until after I had a stroke. My mother cranked the truck to move it a couple of weeks later.

Then it wasn't cranked for three more weeks until my grandfather jump-started it and moved it closer to an outside outlet so he could charge the battery. He cranked it but it cut out when he didn't give it enough gas when going over a root.

My grandfather had my stepfather pull the truck to my grandfather's house and tried to crank it by popping the clutch. It didn't crank.

Now he can't get the truck to even turn over at all.
Old June 14th, 2016, 2:38 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Charge the battery good. Check the battery cable connections. There's a slim chance the voltage regulator got fried. You might have to take the alternator out and have it bench tested at an auto parts store. Check all fuses inside the driver's door and under the hood. You might also try disconnecting the battery cable while the battery is charging. That might get the computer to clear out.
Old June 15th, 2016, 7:07 AM
CF Monarch

Received 337 Likes on 318 Posts

After the battery is fully charged, check to make sure the fuel pump is working and that gas is getting to the throttle body. You might want to spray starter fluid into the intake while trying to crank it.
Old June 15th, 2016, 9:51 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

there's a difference between cranking and starting ! if you say it will crank but won't start then check for spark at the plugs, it might be a bad coil or module if it has no spark ! then check for fuel at the fuel rail ! there is a little valve on the rail, push it and see if gas comes out ! no gas could be a clogged gas filter,(which is along the frame on the drivers side ! ) or it could be the pump went out ! it takes fuel and spark to start a car !