S-10 & Blazer 1982-2005
The S-10 and Blazer was arguably the most versatile and accessorizable mid-size truck and SUV on the market.
Platform: S/T-series & GMT 330

Multifunction (turn signal) switch replace; HOT a/c

Search this Thread

Old September 14th, 2013, 6:06 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Multifunction (turn signal) switch replace; HOT a/c

Hi all-I have a 2002 S-10 pickup-base model, 2.2l engine, manual shift, no tilt, no cruise. It belongs to a friend who had left it sitting for a year. I can use it if I can make it work.

When I got the truck, the turn signal/wiper multifunction switch was hanging loose like a broken arm. It took a couple of tries to get the correct part-I kept getting/being sent one with different wiring. (one from the junkyard, one ordered online.) At any rate, I have the right part, but it took six weeks to get back to this very part-time project. This model has TWO, two-wire connectors. One black connector that goes down by the brakes; one green connector that hooks up under the dash for the steering column.

Let's skip the lecture about keeping better notes, please. I'm already kicking myself. At any rate, I have found a 1-A auto youTu.be video that shows the process. The green connector goes to a secret location up under the dash. I took off the dash cover and I still can't figure out or see where this d--n thing goes. Does it even connect to anything on a manual transmission? it almost looks like it goes in to the back of the auto trans shifter module.

The black connector by the brakes--can't see where that one goes either, and don't remember removing it in the first place.

So, can anybody tell me, first of all, WHAT these connectors go to, and secondly, where their sockets are? For the record, I installed the new part, and I have turn signals, high beams, brake lights, wipers, and washer. What in the world am I missing?

The second problem is a lack of A/C. I live in the desert and don't expect cool temps for another two months. The owner said it just needs a recharge. It was low, I did recharge it, but all I get is HOT air coming out the vents on A/C high. Some vaguely coolish air on regular a/c. Where to start? This truck has dirt and tree litter in the engine--I'm worried about clogged intake or dirty coils. I will work on cleaning it, but there is much to do. I put priority on getting the battery charged and changing fluids, but haven't done the radiator yet.

Note: I am very handy around the house, but have only recently become re-acquainted with auto maintenance and repair after a 30 year absence. I can troubleshoot basic circuits and things like that. So let's assume I know how to use tools and the internet, but not much else!

Thanks everyone.
Old September 22nd, 2013, 8:51 PM
CF Active Member

as far as the a/c goes my first suggestion is a long shot. turn the temp **** all the way hot. fast. then slowly ( slow enough to feel every notch) turn it to full cool. it worked for me. and mine was doing the same thing
Old December 21st, 2019, 1:42 AM
CF Beginner

I have the exact same 2 plugs off and can't find where they go either! This is the only thread that has mentioned them at all. Did you ever find out what they are and where they go? Please enlighten me!