S-10 & Blazer 1982-2005
The S-10 and Blazer was arguably the most versatile and accessorizable mid-size truck and SUV on the market.
Platform: S/T-series & GMT 330

Neutral saftey switch??

Search this Thread

Old April 7th, 2015, 7:26 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Neutral saftey switch??

I have a 83 Chevy truck. It lost power to the starter. I have power to everything else. Before I bought it it was converted to floor slap shifter. I changed starter(it was going bad). I changed ignition switch. I ran direct line to starter from ignition purple wire. Still nothing. I am wondering if neutral saftey switch got out of adjustment since there is no column shifter now. Should I install new on or just jump wires or are there any thoughts or suggestions on what is going on. How can I jump neutral saftey switch if that is the issue thanks
Old April 8th, 2015, 1:36 PM
CF Monarch

Received 337 Likes on 318 Posts

Whoever changed to the floor shifter had to do something about the neutral safety switch. It should not be affected by you changing the starter. Try running a wire from the battery directly to the starter to see if it works. Then figure out if it is the safety switch or the ignition switch.
Old April 8th, 2015, 4:30 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default hopefully this helps others

Thanks For your help that makes sense about neutral safety switch. I figured it out. The ignition key lock rolled back and wasn't fully engaging ignition switch to starter mode. I took some pliers and cranked it pretty hard forward till it snapped back. It will be a temp fix until I change key lock which will probably be never haha. What a pain that was but it got me to change the starter that was going bad.