S-10 & Blazer 1982-2005
The S-10 and Blazer was arguably the most versatile and accessorizable mid-size truck and SUV on the market.
Platform: S/T-series & GMT 330

New Symptom, Ticking When in Drive

Search this Thread

Old May 28th, 2015, 1:55 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 93 s10 4.3, Ticking When in Drive

This is a 93 chevy s10, 4.3 liter. I flashed the codes and got 35 IAC and 43 ESC. I actually got the codes to clear last month by replacing one of the knock sensors and new IAC valve. I haven't checked the other knock sensor because it's in a hard place to reach. But now both of the codes are back. I know for a fact that I spliced the IAC harness poorly, so I need to solder that connection. Also, now when I turn the car on the engine light flashes really fast a bunch of times until I engage the tranny, then it flashes more slowly and inconsistently. Also, the fuel injectors are dripping pretty badly and there is extended cranking.

Now to the tick. It increases with rpm and only appears when in drive. It is most prominent when the engine is hot. At first I thought it was an exhaust leak because it is more of a puffing sound than a ticking. I once had a dislodged gasket on an exhaust header, and that sound was very similar to this one. However, that time it was audible during idle in park. Now it is only audible when driving and hot. And none of the gaskets are dislodged.

Thoughts? I'm planning on soldering the harness connections, inspecting the hard to reach knock sensor, and possibly replacing the injectors. But I'm learning as I go so I have very little direction.

Last edited by slicedpi; May 28th, 2015 at 2:07 PM.