S-10 & Blazer 1982-2005
The S-10 and Blazer was arguably the most versatile and accessorizable mid-size truck and SUV on the market.
Platform: S/T-series & GMT 330

Overheating Issue

Search this Thread

Old February 19th, 2015, 8:20 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Overheating Issue

The other day I replaced the heater core in my 2000 s10 ZR2 (4.3L, V6), and when I got everything pieced back together the truck was taking exceptionally long to warm up. The air was blowing cold in the cabin, but the engine was overheating. Out of fear of damaging the engine I shut it off, let it cool, and attempted to let the coolant burp again later on.

Today I replaced the thermostat and picked up a new radiator cap. After topping off the radiator and letting it burp for a while the engine temp gauge was in the red, and the check engine light came on. The air in the cabin was still blowing cold, but once again the engine was overheating.

The lower radiator hose feels like warm coolant is circulating through it, but I can feel air pockets. The heater core hoses are both cold, and the upper radiator hose is firm and cold as well.

I took on this project in an attempt to save money, but now it's costing me my sanity. It's been snowy and negative degrees all week here, and I can't afford to miss another day of work dealing with this.

Why isn't the coolant circulating through the system, and what are my options to deal with this? Is it time to bite the bullet and take it to the shop?
Old February 21st, 2015, 4:47 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Try the water pump.