S-10 & Blazer 1982-2005
The S-10 and Blazer was arguably the most versatile and accessorizable mid-size truck and SUV on the market.
Platform: S/T-series & GMT 330

perhaps the combination switch?

Search this Thread

Old June 15th, 2012, 12:27 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default perhaps the combination switch?

I have a 2002 Chevy S10, Vortec, 6cyl, 5 speed

Normally, when a turn signal lamp goes out, the turn signal will click super duper fast letting you know "hey, you have a bulb burnt out". It looks like my rear right tail light is burnt out. So i installed a new one, and no luck. still not working. the front right signal works though.

I was told (without testing it) that it could possibly be the combination switch. Does this sound about right? If so, are there any links to show me how to do this step by step? Is it easier to have a dealer/mechanic do it?

What else could it be?<!-- google_ad_section_end -->
Old June 15th, 2012, 12:50 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

Does the brake light work? The later pickup models have individual fuses for left/right, did you check fuse?

Last edited by kevinkpk; June 15th, 2012 at 12:54 PM.
Old June 15th, 2012, 2:37 PM
CF Beginner

no, the right side rear blinker/brake light are both out. The 3rd brake light and left side work fine. the right rear is completely dead.

I have checked all the fuses in the dashboard fuse block but all fuses are fine.
Old June 15th, 2012, 3:54 PM
CF Monarch

Originally Posted by crankbait09
no, the right side rear blinker/brake light are both out. The 3rd brake light and left side work fine. the right rear is completely dead.

I have checked all the fuses in the dashboard fuse block but all fuses are fine.
If everything is working except that side, nothing no brake light, nothing. Suspect a ground issue. Replace the bulb, clean the socket with contact cleaner, and make sure it is not loose, and is tight to the frame for a ground.
Old June 15th, 2012, 11:27 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by kevinkpk
If everything is working except that side, nothing no brake light, nothing. Suspect a ground issue. Replace the bulb, clean the socket with contact cleaner, and make sure it is not loose, and is tight to the frame for a ground.
how do i find where the ground is at on the frame? With all the wires on the truck, is there only one ground?

something just occurred to me when you said that. I just bought a "new to me" fishing boat. I purchased a wiring harness to hook my lights up to the trailer. This electrical problem happened shortly after hooking it up to the trailer. So, I took the wiring harness off and reconnected the truck back the way it was. Could that cause the issue?

Again, if it could be the ground, where would it be located?
Old June 16th, 2012, 7:44 AM
CF Monarch

Originally Posted by crankbait09
how do i find where the ground is at on the frame? With all the wires on the truck, is there only one ground?

something just occurred to me when you said that. I just bought a "new to me" fishing boat. I purchased a wiring harness to hook my lights up to the trailer. This electrical problem happened shortly after hooking it up to the trailer. So, I took the wiring harness off and reconnected the truck back the way it was. Could that cause the issue?

Again, if it could be the ground, where would it be located?
It is a contact ground. The socket itself is attached to the frame, and the frame is the ground. It also could be a bad socket. Have you replaced the bulb? If so, was there any resistance (slight) when reinstalling a bulb? Thereis a small spring inside the socket that may be the issue.
Old June 16th, 2012, 8:07 AM
CF Beginner

I replaced the bulb with a new one. That didn't work so i thought it may have been a bad lamp. So I took the lamp out of the left side that I KNEW was working and put it on the right side..........still nothing.

So from the sounds of it, I should be able to trace the socket wiring all the way to the frame???? no?

Is replacing the socket hard to do, if that's what it comes down to?
Old June 18th, 2012, 9:23 PM
CF Beginner

ok, went out double check everything.

The right rear lights are on except the brake light and the turn signal. the driving light is on and working like it should. The brake light/turn signal are the only ones that are not working on the right rear.

anyone have any further ideas? or is it still pointing towards the socket?
Old June 19th, 2012, 7:05 PM
CF Beginner

i'm having the same type of problem with my 02 s-10..it only started after i removed the bed to put in a new fuel pump...i went under the truck in the rear and messed with some of the wires and all my lights started working again..about 2 days ago the same problem started again. It's definately a ground somewhere, I believe it has something to do with my trailer wiring harness.,
Old June 19th, 2012, 7:39 PM
CF Beginner

i have removed my trailer harness and put the main harness back the way it was and still hasn't fixed the problem. not sure where the ground is at that i should be looking at

Quick Reply: perhaps the combination switch?