S-10 & Blazer 1982-2005
The S-10 and Blazer was arguably the most versatile and accessorizable mid-size truck and SUV on the market.
Platform: S/T-series & GMT 330

Rag Joint or Steering Box? 98 Jimmy 4wd 4 dr

Search this Thread

Old May 8th, 2011, 11:43 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question Rag Joint or Steering Box? 98 Jimmy 4wd 4 dr

1998 Jimmy 4wd 4 door

The steering is really sloppy and slowly getting worse. Hard to stay in one lane on a highway with a gusty crosswind.

I can see the steering column coming down toward the front end. I see it turning a fair amount as the wheel is turned left/right through just the play in the system.

Then I crawl underneath and the idler arm and rods that go left and right are barely moving. I can yank on those and they seem very tight.

Is the rag joint way down near the steering box? There is a black plastic cover over that area. I can't see that area from underneath.

How on earth do you get to the steering box? I can barely see it from above or below.

Thanks!
Old June 15th, 2011, 11:04 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yes the rag joint is just north of the gearbox below the slip joint or whatever under the plastic piece you speak of,on my truck the large plastic cover in the position of a skid plate that you reach thru to change the oil filter is off removing this will make it possible to get to the gearbox, also the flaps inside the wheel well are removed so the gear box and column are more visible to me you don't have to remove the flap just hold it up ,but with the wheels on the ground and turning the steering wheel just enough to travel the play but not trying to move the tires or even the gearbox you can (with the help of a second person) see the rag joint thru the driver-side wheel well and you should be able to see the column turning you will easily be able to tell if the play is in the rag joint or not. i hear of alot of ppl just solid bolting the column together where the rag joint lives or even a couple wielding it but i wouldn't suggest that the risk of fire is high , duh, wouldnt be good. but in addition steering play and wander can also be caused by just about any parts of the steering system having excessive wear. i personaly have almost completely rebuilt my steering system trying to get rid of the same horrible play an its tightened up some but the gearbox remains so i know whats next. if you plan to change the rag joint take the column loose at the gearbox and pull the lower shaft out of the slip joint completely remove the whole lower shaft and replace the rag joint on a bench just dont forget to lock the steering wheel in place beforyou remove the shaft so it doesnt end up misaligned