S-10 & Blazer 1982-2005
The S-10 and Blazer was arguably the most versatile and accessorizable mid-size truck and SUV on the market.
Platform: S/T-series & GMT 330

Re: Repair EGR valve for 2000 Blazer?

Search this Thread

Old September 19th, 2008, 12:01 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Repair EGR valve for 2000 Blazer?

Hey gang,

New here. I searched the forums and maybe I missed this question. I have a 2000 Blazer, 4.3 L, and the EGR valve is bad. We checked the code to verify that the valve was the issue. Can it be cleaned or repaired? Wanted to know before spending the money on a new one. Thanks for any assistance.

Pete
Old September 19th, 2008, 4:26 PM
Banned

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Default RE: Re: Repair EGR valve for 2000 Blazer?

If a solenoid is bad in it....you can replace the selenoid, but can be a real pain, and you have to rob a donor egr. If its a matter of carbon build-up, you can clean them out, but if the build-up is too bad, it usually only lasts about a week or so untill a piece of carbon gets stuck in the pintle again
Old September 19th, 2008, 9:57 PM
CF Beginner

If carbon is building up in the intake manifold and is blocking the EGR valve, the only way we know to clean this is by removing the manifold and mechanically scraping the carbon out. We know of no gasoline additives that will cure your problem for you.
Old September 20th, 2008, 12:51 PM
CF Beginner

Thanks Guys.

What cleaner should I use? Electronics cleaner or starter cleaner or any other suggestions? So if cleaning does not help, replacing the solenoid would be the next step, which Shawn mentioned would be a pain. How much of a pain is it? If all else fails, then buy another one. Kinda rambled there, sorry.

Old September 21st, 2008, 2:58 PM
Banned

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

get a quality air intake cleaner. Give your self about an hour to allow for it to soak. it'll loosen it up a little better. If cleaning it doesn't help, i don't suggest you replace a solenoid but rather just replace the valve as an assembly. You cannot buy parts to fix them, so you would have to buy one from the junk yard and tear it apart...why not just install the good one from the junk yard? I only suggest fixing it if you have a scrap one laying around
Old September 30th, 2008, 11:34 AM
CF Beginner

Thanks Again Shawn.

Turns out, after rechecking the system, that the TPS sensor was bad not the EGR valve. When my neighbor checked the car out with his tester, he got the wrong code. When we checked it at Auto Zone, the code for the TPS came up and that was it.

I appreciate the help.

Thanks,
Pete