S-10 & Blazer 1982-2005
The S-10 and Blazer was arguably the most versatile and accessorizable mid-size truck and SUV on the market.
Platform: S/T-series & GMT 330

"Rusted Out Shock Mount"

Search this Thread

Old March 7th, 2014, 3:25 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default "Rusted Out Shock Mount"

HELP! (chuckle)

I just got back from the WV inspection "guy". He came into the room waving his hands and almost shouting. " I can't inspect that car! It shouldn't even be out on the road. It could suddenly go sideways and cause a wreck!"

He said it is a "rusted rear shock absorber mount"

What is it! A "car suddenly driving down the road sideways from a rusted shock absorber mount!"

Does he know what he is talking about? What is going on? I've been driving 65 years and I've never heard of such a thing.

Looking forward to responses!!

Dennis
Old March 7th, 2014, 8:55 PM
CF Veteran

Default shock

broken or rusted shock mount's can be dangerous ,can you get a picture of the mount ? a lot of time's they can be replaced relatively easy . what year and model 2 wd or 4 wd

Last edited by old dog; March 7th, 2014 at 9:08 PM.
Old March 8th, 2014, 6:47 AM
CF Beginner

Default "Broken Shock Mount"

I hate to admit it but I've never even heard of a "shock mount" - let alone a "broken shock mount".

I'm going to go under the Blazer this morning with a flashlite and see what I can see. Maybe it's viewable. I just can't imagine how an axle can break loose and turn toward sideways - from a shock. The springs are stable and the axle is U-bolted to the springs - how can the axle suddenly break loose and "turn sideways"??

I remember him saying something about a "rusted out hole around where the shock mounts" ?????

Maybe I'll know more later this morning. I've been all over the web looking for a part that says "rear shock mount" or a Youtube.com video that tells of replacing one. (????)

It's a 4-wheel drive - and I'll snap a pic today if I can see what I'm looking for.

Thank You - Later,

Dennis

Last edited by ardenlester00; March 8th, 2014 at 6:50 AM.
Old March 8th, 2014, 8:30 AM
CF Veteran

Default shock mount

well the shock's keep the tire's in contact with the road under braking and acceleration ,and when the body roll's when maneuvering .they are key to keeping the truck under control in sudden movement .you can loose control with the road when you least expect it ,although i have seen people drive with broken mount's and bad shock's for year's .
he was trying to get your attention and impress on you the safety aspect of repairing the problem . you maybe able to drive for month's like this or get in a sudden traffic altercation and have a problem .
Old March 8th, 2014, 1:33 PM
CF Beginner

Smile Driving my Blazer down the road - Sideways!

Hello,

At least that's what the WV sticker inspector told me - loudly and rudely! "The axle is going to fall off and you will go down the road sideways!!" No kiddin' - he said that!

So, I did all kinds of Googling on the problem - Scary! All the rusted frames and into the thousands to fix it, etc. etc.

So, I got under the car this morning (harder to do at 77 than it was at 17 or 27). I found the "dangerous, not to be on the road, etc. etc"barf!. The top of the shock on passenger side had lost the two screws and clips that hold the shock to the frame. I guess I hit a big bump and the top of shock jumped out of the shock mount - a cup-shaped piece. The "frame that was rusted out is actually a square hole they put in it at the factory. There's NO rust under my Blazer.

I put the shock in the carrier, bolted the thing in - and now my Blazer is like "new".

And, I'm going to go to another "inspector" - one that has some sense!

Thank you for you suggestions - when in trouble, blog a friend, eh?

Thanx,

Dennis
Old March 8th, 2014, 3:14 PM
CF Veteran

great ,look's like that inspector dident know his but from a hole in the ground i think he owes you some money for heart burn and anxiety . was he trying to sell some work ?
Old October 13th, 2014, 2:32 PM
CF Beginner

I live in Wisconsin and have had to put a Mazda and a Dodge Colt to rest over the years. The winter hiway salt loves the top of the strut towers. I do not understand why they're unprotected and unreinforced. Definately dangerous if they fail, had it happen fortunately at low speed, the hood punched up and the right front of the car nearly touched the pavement.