S-10 & Blazer 1982-2005
The S-10 and Blazer was arguably the most versatile and accessorizable mid-size truck and SUV on the market.
Platform: S/T-series & GMT 330

2000 S-10 fuel pump

Search this Thread

Old October 6th, 2006, 10:08 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 S-10 fuel pump

O.K. sorry for the confusion. I just purchased a 2000 S-10 ZR2 A couple weeks ago. And it has a rather loud fuel pump which can be herd well with the engine running. I'm trying to find out if this is normal, and if so is there anything that can be done to quiet it? I keep getting conflicting answers. Some say it is normal for the truck to be loud , Others say if it's making accessive noise it's going bad. If so what is considered eccessive? I use the truck mostly for pulling my boat, so the pump going out with the boat attached would would be a real pain , although I know it or any other thing could happen, but I don't want to replace it if it's not bad. Can anyone please clear this up?
Old October 6th, 2006, 10:30 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: 2000 S-10 fuel pump

they are loud, it may never go out, so keep driving
Old October 26th, 2006, 2:39 AM
CF Active Member

kinda late with this, but.....u never mentioned if your truck has the vortec engine, but being a '96 it probably does. i mention this because the vortec equip'ed trucks have a higher flowing pump (gph for u boys south of the 49th, lph for us above the 49th), and these pumps are noticably louder than 'normal'.so, refering 2 pavarotti's post of RE: 2000 S-10 fuel pump noise - 10/5/2006 , "Excessive noise is a tell-tale sign that it is about to make you walk." is not alwys true. beside's like u said, if it's gonna fail, it'll fail.
as an added note, where did pavarotti come up with a 40 gal. tank? that's about 151L. i can only squeeze in 135L in my 'burb (a little over 35.5 gal.) - the tank was bone dry (new pump), poured in a 5 gal. 'jerry-can', drove 2 minutes 2 the station, filled it literally 2 the cap, and the 2 totals came 2, 134.817L. if pavarotti is correct, any idea which era of truck this tank came from? anyone?thanks.
[sm=feedback.gif]
Old October 31st, 2006, 12:43 AM
CF Active Member

The Vortec name has nothing to do with the pump.

Alot of people are confused by the Vortec name. It started back in 1988 with a little different head and intake valve design that created a small "swirl" effect so GM dubbed it the Vortec. Even said so on the valve covers. Now it's nothing more than a marketing scheme. And remember it's vortec not vortex.

The difference is in the injection system. Carbs and TBI don't reqire near has much pressure as a fuel injected vehicle. Fuel injected s-series need 60-66 psi to run. 1996 was the year that all s-series motors were fuel injected.

As for your truck their is nothing you can do. Just don't let the tank get below an 1/8th of a tank and change the fuel filter regurly and hope for the best.
Old November 1st, 2006, 12:30 AM
CF Active Member

sorry, NCHEVYHEVN, but i disagree on your say about the 'W' code (TBI) and the 'Z' code (CPI) as being a marketing scheme. the 'Z' code, vortec motor, has 50HP more (190HP compared to 140HP), and the 'Z' code engine's do require a higher volume fuel pump-140 LPH compared to 90 LPH. not 2 nit pick, but the 'vortec' logo/name is on a cover that goes on top of the CPI intake, molded in plastic to have the same look as the cast aluminum intake runners (this cover was not on any van's equiped with the vortec motor). when u, NCHEVYHEVN, mentioned that the year all s-series motor's were fuel injected was in 1996, r u sure u didn't mean 1986? 'cause my stepfather's '86 Jimmy was injected (a gutless wounder of a 2.8L). i'm not sure about the 4 banger's though, that's why i'm asking.
Old November 1st, 2006, 12:40 AM
CF Active Member

ORIGINAL: 70mopar

sorry, NCHEVYHEVN, but i disagree on your say about the 'W' code (TBI) and the 'Z' code (CPI) as being a marketing scheme. the 'Z' code, vortec motor, has 50HP more (190HP compared to 140HP), and the 'Z' code engine's do require a higher volume fuel pump-140 LPH compared to 90 LPH. not 2 nit pick, but the 'vortec' logo/name is on a cover that goes on top of the CPI intake, molded in plastic to have the same look as the cast aluminum intake runners (this cover was not on any van's equiped with the vortec motor). when u, NCHEVYHEVN, mentioned that the year all s-series motor's were fuel injected was in 1996, r u sure u didn't mean 1986? 'cause my stepfather's '86 Jimmy was injected (a gutless wounder of a 2.8L). i'm not sure about the 4 banger's though, that's why i'm asking.
I think you miss understood what I said. The Vortec logo is nothing more than a marketing scheme. In 1996 on the 4.3 they switched from TBI to MPFI and they changed the heads to a better flowing head which bumped the horsepower from 150 on the TBI to anywhere to 180-195hp at the crank depending on which motor you had and which truck.

And I did say that MPFI reqire alot more fuel pressure but I should have been more specific when I said fuel injected as in all the 4.3 motors switched to MPFI rather than being CPI or TBI in 1996.

Like I said before you can look at the older 4.3s like the late 80s and early 90s and they had Vortec stamped on the valve covers. It's just a thing GM came up with for their head design because it made some sort of a swirl effect. Nothing to get excited over. Some people think it's some awsome thing.
Old November 1st, 2006, 1:27 AM
CF Active Member

gotcha, all clear on the MPFI, but the vortec engine 'option' started in late '91 with the 'tuned port' styled intake (CPI). i disagree still on it being a marketing scheme. it made a distinction between the lower HP engine and the higher powered engine.
have never seen the valve cover's with the name on them-do they look just as goofy as the intake name plate with the bright orange lettering?
Old November 1st, 2006, 12:38 PM
CF Active Member

ORIGINAL: 70mopar

gotcha, all clear on the MPFI, but the vortec engine 'option' started in late '91 with the 'tuned port' styled intake (CPI). i disagree still on it being a marketing scheme. it made a distinction between the lower HP engine and the higher powered engine.
have never seen the valve cover's with the name on them-do they look just as goofy as the intake name plate with the bright orange lettering?
No it just says vortec on the valve covers. It started in 1988 and all it really does is create a swirl type effect which GM was only after a more efficient motor. It wasn't even meant to be a power option. They wanted something that would mix the air/fuel mixture better which it did so they dubbed it Vortec. Just like Ford has thier Triton motor and Dodge has thier Hemi. Their all marketing schemes. The new hemi's aren't even really a hemi head.

When comes down to it which sounds better. 4.3 V-6 or 4.3 V-6 with Vortec power!!!