S-10 & Blazer 1982-2005
The S-10 and Blazer was arguably the most versatile and accessorizable mid-size truck and SUV on the market.
Platform: S/T-series & GMT 330

Any way to wire iPod through 2000 Blazer stock stereo?

Search this Thread

Old January 25th, 2009, 6:28 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any way to wire iPod through 2000 Blazer stock stereo?

First off, I have a 2000 Blazer with a stock stereo. It doesn't have a multiple CD changer or cassette player, it just has radio and one disc player. I've grown tired of the poor quality sound that I get using my iPod with an FM modulator and would like to have my iPod play directly through my speakers. I called Best Buy and they informed me that based on my SUV's year, they can't just wire an iPod cable directly through my existing faceplate or other location on the dash area to the stereo speakers, and that I would need to have a new stereo with this capability installed.

Some background: One of my friends was told the same thing by Best Buy about her 1998 Ford F150 a couple of years back, so she just had her truck wired to play her iPod through her FM frequency (which is a waste, if you ask me, because she still occasionally gets static). My dad's 2005 BMW was wired by Circuit City a year or so ago. The wiring connects from the speakers and exits out through his cup holder and plugs into his iPod. It doesn't run off the FM frequency like my friend's does.

According to the installation tech I spoke to at Best Buy, vehicles that are 2003 and older aren't able to be wired for iPod directly to the speakers unless A: they have a multiple CD changer (not sure how this works, but I don't have one, anyway) or B: they get a new stereo installed with iPod port capability. Vehicles that are 2004 and after are generally able to just have basic wiring to the speakers done. I'm guessing the year of the vehicle is the reason my friend couldn't do this with her truck and my dad could with his BMW.

I just wanted some input on the information I've received. Does this seem correct? Do I need to get a new stereo to do what I want to do with my iPod? Are there any other options that may be cheaper?

Sorry for the long-winded post and TIA!
Old January 25th, 2009, 9:57 PM
CF Monarch

Received 26 Likes on 9 Posts

I encountered the same problem with my 2000 Blazer. There is no way you can wire an Ipod to the Bose or Delco head unit. Buy a new head unit. The Best Buy guy explained it to you very accurately. To break it down for you further, a CD changer or a external CD player or Casette deck (apart from the head unit) are considered Auxillary accessories and you can tap the input wires coming from them. The Blazer has neither. Sorry bro.
You can get a decent Sony with an AUX input for less than a hundred bucks.I can attest to the fact that it will sound good. Spend a little more and you can get the USB jack.

IF you have a Bose head unit, when you install the new one, you will have to figure out which wire is the signal wire for the Bose amp under the console and jump it with the signal wire from the head unit.

Last edited by EvansBlue; January 25th, 2009 at 10:14 PM.
Old January 26th, 2009, 1:59 AM
CF Beginner

Thanks for your reply. After a lot of research, I realized that the Best Buy tech appeared to be right, and you just reconfirmed it. I currently have a Delco unit, and the tech at Best Buy said new stereo units start at around $70, so they're not terribly expensive, I was just trying to avoid buying extra components if they weren't absolutely necessary. Looks like I'll be calling Best Buy back to set up an installation appointment.

Thanks again for your help!
Old January 27th, 2009, 10:07 PM
CF Monarch

I guess they still offer free install?
Old January 28th, 2009, 2:57 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by EvansBlue
I guess they still offer free install?
Unfortunately not, which I'm not expecting, but I do feel like their installation costs are excessive. While I was in there the other day picking out a deck and new speakers (3 of my 4 stock speakers are blown out, lol), I checked out the installation fees. There was a chart listing different types of installations and it stated that stereo installation is $49.99 and speaker installation is $39.99. I asked the sales rep that was helping me if the installation would then total around $90. He got on the phone with the installation tech and was told that for new stereo installation and speakers it would take them about 4 hours total and would cost around $275 to install--well off from the chart cost. I asked him why it would cost this much and he said that the $49.99 is for "basic" stereo installation, and that it costs more if there's any customization required for my car. I'm guessing customization might include fixing the front panel to fit properly around the new stereo. The sales rep also said that he thought the $39.99 for the speaker installation would be for EACH speaker, not the total for all 4 speakers. This seems very bizarre to me, and even if my stereo installation requires customization, $49.99 and $159.96 ($39.99 x 4) equal $209.95, which is a $65 difference from what I was quoted. Does this seem overpriced?
Old January 28th, 2009, 8:19 AM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

Price is relative to how badly you DON’T want to do it, consider doing the speakers yourself and have them do the deck.
Old January 28th, 2009, 12:45 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by in2pro
Price is relative to how badly you DON’T want to do it, consider doing the speakers yourself and have them do the deck.
If I had enough knowledge and experience with cars I would definitely take care of the installation myself, not just for monetary purposes, but because I'm a perfectionist and like to make sure everything is done the best it can be. Unfortunately, I don't have any background knowledge of electrical-type tasks, so I don't want to make a costly mistake. My dad rebuilt a couple of his cars while he was growing up and he said that different makes/models of vehicles can vary in their setup, so in this scenario, it's best to let someone with the appropriate knowledge and skill do the installation. I'm just trying to get information and input from people who have had this type of work done before. Is charging someone the cost of speaker installation for each speaker common and does the overall cost for the work at hand seem to be on the excessive side? This may change my decision in having the installation done at Best Buy.
Old January 28th, 2009, 1:46 PM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

I'd try calling a few sound shops and get a quote for the speaker install and that may give you a ballpark of what the market is for the install,

Some speakers can be in stalled in 10 min or less with nothing more then a screw driver others may need 30-40min and have to account for replacement retainers that are not able to be reused.

I don't want to encourage you to do something that you don't feel comfortable doing, However I would encourage you to explore the feasibility, see if you can get access to the speakers yourself, that in itself may shave a few bucks off if they don't have to do the install removal of panels.

I think $40 bucks a speaker is a bit high especially if some of them are dang near PnP. Now are they putting in new wire with the speakers too that may not be too unreasonable if that is the case.
Old January 28th, 2009, 3:56 PM
CF Monarch

The dash speakers in the Blazer are the hardest to change and thats only because of the space issue. The ones in the doors a fairly easy and can be done in 10-15 minutes apeice.

I can walk you through installation of the deck. You'll need a 7mm (may be 8mm) socket/nutdriver and a screwdriver to pry with. You'll have to buy the wiring kit from Walmart and also the installation kit for a GM din-and-a-half to single din conversion. That can also be found at Walmart although you can buy more aesthetic ones at best buy.

Oh and be aware that most companies will charge the hell out of you to install speaker you didn't buy from them.

Last edited by EvansBlue; January 28th, 2009 at 3:59 PM.
Old December 20th, 2009, 12:11 PM
CF Beginner

I've just acquired a new girlfriend (less than a month). She sings- use to be in a band or something got tons of CDs but doesn't get to enjoy them as much coz Problem 1. Headunit has some play so CD skips all the time. FIX: I need to find access to the mounting screws that hold the Unit to the dash "frame'.

And coz she's only been acquired in the last month i can't buy her good ****. i thought maybe i could get her the Ipod set up in the Blazer. Can't and won't buy her a new Headunit. but might install this...... If it works. Has anyone tried this...http://www.installer.com/item/displa....php?it=ISGM73
or ....has anyone found a better way to help with connecting an IPod to the stock Delco?

peace

Quick Reply: Any way to wire iPod through 2000 Blazer stock stereo?