S-10 & Blazer 1982-2005
The S-10 and Blazer was arguably the most versatile and accessorizable mid-size truck and SUV on the market.
Platform: S/T-series & GMT 330

Humming while turning right---Not a normal Fix

Search this Thread

Old November 19th, 2010, 12:53 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Humming while turning right---Not a normal Fix

Humming nosie when turning right. The noise is very loud when traveling at 20-30 mph. Noise sounds like a tire rubbing, but is not a tire issue. Noise stops when I turn left. After hooking up our chassis sound fun machine, it sounds like the noise may be coming from the rear . I do not have drums in the rear, they are disc brakes
I can also feel a very slight vibration in the floorboards, both px, and Dv side. Not sure if this helps.
There is nothing that is showing signs or wear, and nothing is rubbing, and I am 400% sure of that.

It sounds exactly like trying to stop a bike tire from spinning but using a stick on the tire itself.
I used to work for my current mechanic, but only small stuff. So I am just a consumer trying to get to the answer. I have not placed any load into the back of my truck. When I am driving from 30MPH and begin to coast, when I turn to the right or bear right, the truck makes a Howl/Humm noise. The noise stops if I cut back to the left.The noise gets very loud between 23-29mph, and gets quieter as you coast to about 10 mph. The noise generally stops after about 10mph, but can be heard all the way through 65mph. The humming also stops if I am turning right and pressing on the gas. While in Neutral, if I turn right and press the gas the noise continues. It sounds like trying to stop a bike tire from spinning with a stick, if you had the bike upside down of course. The noise is present whether I am in 2x2 or 4x4 drive. Today the carrier Bearings/pinion bearings along with the inner and outer race, were changed, however it did not help.We are 100000% sure the noise is coming from the rear. Also, my mechanic did not replace the left carrier bearing, because he said it was not an issue. When we hooked up the chasis ear the noise we heard sounded like the rear end. We first hooked it up to the calipers, then to the rear diff. It was louder in my opnion when it was hooked to the calipers. This humming is driving me crazy.

UPDATE ON NEW SYMPTOM:

ABS light had nothing to do with the noise.

You can hear a slight hum, (that is the same hum when turning) when you press the gas. Once the gas is released the noise stops.

Replaced:

Rear Axle Seals
Real Axle Bearings
Rear Axle
Pinion Bearings
Inner/Outer Race
Both Carrier Bearings
Front Wheel Hubs w/ Bearings
Rear Diff Pin

2001 Chevy s10 pickup
4x4
94k mi

Last edited by spazoid; December 9th, 2010 at 7:42 PM.
Old November 24th, 2010, 12:23 PM
CF Beginner

Bumped because I really need help
Old November 27th, 2010, 11:00 AM
CF Pro Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

your driver wheel bearing is shot time to replace this will also take care of your abs problem
Old November 27th, 2010, 7:42 PM
CF Beginner

On your new ABS symptom - when you replaced the front wheel hub/bearings, did you route the electrical wire correctly? You may want to check that the electrical connector for the ABS hasn't pulled loose.
Old November 30th, 2010, 10:19 AM
CF Beginner

Default Not the wheel bearing

Originally Posted by BHBarr
On your new ABS symptom - when you replaced the front wheel hub/bearings, did you route the electrical wire correctly? You may want to check that the electrical connector for the ABS hasn't pulled loose.
Originally Posted by 2wd-K5
your driver wheel bearing is shot time to replace this will also take care of your abs problem
No, The wheel bearing made no difference with the noise. It made the noise before and after the replacement of both wheel bearings. THE NOISE IS 100% in the rear. Turns out I just ran over something and ripped out my ABS sensor. So the ABS light coming on had nothing to do with the noise.
So the noise continues!

Last edited by spazoid; November 30th, 2010 at 10:28 AM.
Old November 30th, 2010, 10:21 PM
CF Junior Member

jack the truck up on all fours and see if you can hear where its coming from so have a helper in the truck and do diff things like drive 5 mph 20 mph turn right turn left just do what you have to do to make the noise
Old December 9th, 2010, 7:41 PM
CF Beginner

Already jacked it up. No noise is heard, even when in 4x4.

There is a new symptom.

I can hear a faint hum when pressing on the gas, driving straight now.

I may just have the Rear Diff rebuilt, cause I am getting sick of this noise.
Old December 9th, 2010, 10:29 PM
CF Junior Member

i think my bro in law had a problem like your and it was the bearing for the rear axel. he went to the junk yard and got to axels and two bearings for the axel and never heard the noise so that might be the problem you are having also?
Old January 6th, 2011, 2:20 PM
CF Beginner

junk yard rear end is way cheaper than getting it rebuilt.
Old January 6th, 2011, 8:52 PM
Super Moderator

Sounds like the rear axle bearing to me... My friend had the same problem in his 97 1500... went to the junkyard and got a used one...but the only problem with that is if you get one, you could have the same problem again 50 miles later...

I had my 3.42 limited slip rearend in my 96 blazer rebuilt to a 4.11 pos for around 1000 bucks and let me tell you a huge difference in take off and GAS..lol but its a lot stronger..

Quick Reply: Humming while turning right---Not a normal Fix