S-10 & Blazer 1982-2005
The S-10 and Blazer was arguably the most versatile and accessorizable mid-size truck and SUV on the market.
Platform: S/T-series & GMT 330

S10 "Jerks" while driving

Search this Thread

Old March 29th, 2010, 2:15 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default S10 "Jerks" while driving

Ok guys, I have about given up. Here is the deal. My 2002 Chevy s10 crew cab, 140,000 miles, "jerks", or thats the best way to describe it, while I am driving, almost exclusively at high speed. It's almost as though is loses complete power , but only for a spilt second. I have replaced the fuel pump last year and the injectors the year before. My mileage is now around 200-225 per tank, which is well below the 300 or so I usually get. I was told that the problem was the spider injector system, so i replaced them 2 years back, and it solved the problem until about 3 months ago. Supposedly the injectors leak some fuel, cause the "jerk". The injector system is about 300 bucks, so I am dreading replacing them again, only to have them start to go out. I have no idea what's wrong, but I do know that my O2 sensors are going off again, and I occasionally get the code that says my gas cap isnt on tight, when it is. Has anyone ran into this "jerking" before? I am wondering if it is the injectors, or if something else is causing the injectors to go bad.
I will be checking back often, and I am taking the truck to have the codes read again tonight.

Thanks, and let me know if you need any other information.
Old March 29th, 2010, 9:22 PM
Super Moderator
Professional Mechanic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What is the condition of the plugs and wires?
Old March 30th, 2010, 10:11 AM
CF Beginner

MDTAHOE-
The plugs and wires have about 25,000 miles on them. Also, I should note, that the jerks can be anywhere from 5 minutes apart to 15 minutes apart, and sometimes never.
Old April 8th, 2010, 2:39 PM
CF Junior Member

the tps can also cause a jerk or surge like this under a load and certain rpm but i would say maybe the coil or coil wire? maybe its arching on something? loosing all the spark to the cylinders for that split second.
Old April 9th, 2010, 8:55 AM
CF Beginner

Thanks Redbull,

I will check the TPS this afternoon, but how do i check the coil?
Also, I noticed that its getting tougher and tougher to start the truck cold now. 3,4,5 times to get it started. I also noticed while driving home from Columbus last night, while I am going uphill the RPMs will spike sporadically 2-300 RPM, I can hear it in the engine, see it on the tach, but my I can't "feel" my speed picking up. I know its happening, but it might be normal. I have been trying to pay more attention to the truck itself, so i am starting to notice things I normally don't.
Old April 9th, 2010, 5:56 PM
Super Moderator
Professional Mechanic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You may want to look into the fuel pressure
Old April 10th, 2010, 6:34 AM
CF Junior Member

^^^^^^^ yup cuz i think mine throws a code about the fuel pressure and it does the rpm thing you were talkin bout but not as bad
Old July 31st, 2010, 8:57 PM
CF Beginner

Default about Spider Injection System

i have the same problem with my 97 Blazer,, anyways ur guys input has helped me alot on deciding to get rid of my headache and trade it in, i did find the Spider Injection System for alot cheaper though, u can get it for 189.00 at a site called JustFuelInjectors.com hope this helps.
Old October 4th, 2010, 5:53 PM
CF Beginner

Default S-10 Jerks

Amazing! My 2002 s-10 is doing the same thing (see post 9-13-10). In your experience what should I do next? You say you are getting codes...which ones?

Thanks

Babe s-10
Old September 10th, 2013, 9:47 PM
CF Beginner

Default Fixed

Changed tps and fuel filter problem solved no more jerking .....had changed spark plugs, wires, coil pack, cleaned throttle body no change runs like a dream now

Quick Reply: S10 "Jerks" while driving