S-10 & Blazer 1982-2005
The S-10 and Blazer was arguably the most versatile and accessorizable mid-size truck and SUV on the market.
Platform: S/T-series & GMT 330

S10 Pickup stalling at idle

Search this Thread

Old November 28th, 2008, 11:54 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: S10 Pickup stalling at idle

ORIGINAL: epagidas

My 92' Chevy S10 4x2 pickup 4.3L V6 auto trans has 185,000 miles and has been giving me the following problem. It started about a month ago and has gotten worse, at first when I would coast to a stop or be at a light it would stall on me as if someone turned the key of. I would put it in Park and it would start up right away and then sometimes do it again or not the rest of the day. The next few times it got worse and took longer to get it started but it would start and I could keep it going at a light if I kept on the throttle a little. Now if I warm up the truck from a cold start and just leave it there for about five minutes it stalls on me and I have to wait a long time for it to cool down before it can start up again. Any ideas on what it can be? Here is what I have done so far.

Tune up new plugs, prestolite, wires, cap, rotor, pcv valve
Cleaned TBI
new fuel filter
new fuel pressure regulator/diaphragm
new sending unit
new fuel pump
new TPS (throttle position sender)

I also just disconnected the TCC on the transmission and it still did the same thing.

Again the truck runs fine when it starts up and also runs like a brand new truck on the highway at cruising speed. Only when I let off the gas and come to an idle does it stall on me.

Thanks for your help.
Hi there dude? How's your Chevy doing right now? That's really intruiging having new sets of some parts.
Old April 25th, 2009, 8:34 PM
CF Beginner

I'm having the same problem my s10 pu is a 92, it runs good then stalls, restart and have to feather the gas pedal to keep it running? Changed the fuel filter and did a complete tune up <no good> still have the problem? Any suggestions? TU
Old May 10th, 2009, 10:00 PM
CF Beginner

Check the fuel lines up to the Fuel injectors... If you have the Multi Port Fuel Injection. Or the CPI system there are fuel lines inside that sometimes leak or it could also be the fuel pressure regulator which is attached to the fuel metering block inside the intake manifold...
Old September 15th, 2009, 7:37 AM
CF Beginner

Default Could this help you?

My problem was that the engine would run about 10-15 minutes, then stall out. Would not start until cold again. I spent hundreds of dollars changing everything recommended by every forum, book, mechanic, you name it. Then after a year of changes of almost everything except the engine, a knowledgeable person at Autozone asked if I had changed the coolant temperature sensor at the front of the engine. No, I hadn't. $12 later, the truck was running.

My suggestion when stalling occurs after a few minutes of running is to change the coolant temperarure sensor first. It could save you hundreds of dollars.

I hope this helps.
Old September 15th, 2009, 9:40 AM
CF Active Member

This is just a thought but check your MAF sensor. Mine got dirty once and it basically told the computer that the engine wasn't getting any air so it wouldnt run, as soon as i came to a stop it would sputter and then shut off.
Old August 23rd, 2022, 6:55 AM
CF Beginner

Default S10 problems

I'm having the same issue with my 2003 LS S10. Some days it fires right up and I never have an issue but other days it just stalls out and won't run. It's getting to a point where I have to call in because I can't keep this truck running.

It has a new ground from the fuel pump and starter, other than that I'm not sure. Air filter is not plugged but haven't checked anything else.

I've attempted to jump the starter relay but it just cranks over and won't start. Although if I left the truck sit for a few hours it would start right up and I'd have no problems with it for who knows how long. It seems once every couple weeks or so this problem happens.

Any help would be appreciated because it's getting to the point it may cost me my job If I have to keep calling in for it. (It's my only vehicle)
Old December 9th, 2023, 8:58 PM
CF Beginner

Default Update

Originally Posted by NsteWalcher420
I'm having the same issue with my 2003 LS S10. Some days it fires right up and I never have an issue but other days it just stalls out and won't run. It's getting to a point where I have to call in because I can't keep this truck running.

It has a new ground from the fuel pump and starter, other than that I'm not sure. Air filter is not plugged but haven't checked anything else.

I've attempted to jump the starter relay but it just cranks over and won't start. Although if I left the truck sit for a few hours it would start right up and I'd have no problems with it for who knows how long. It seems once every couple weeks or so this problem happens.

Any help would be appreciated because it's getting to the point it may cost me my job If I have to keep calling in for it. (It's my only vehicle)
New to the forum, having the same problem with my 2000 Sonoma 4.3 — Any updates on what it was?? How you fixed the issue? Going to try above suggestions. But curious about what happened with your 03.
Andrew

cleaned the maf, replaced air filter and improvement on both accel and idle. Still does run rich at very random points, shifting into reverse from park for example. But doesn’t stall. So far!!

Last edited by Stella_the_Sonoma; December 12th, 2023 at 11:08 AM. Reason: Update