S-10 & Blazer 1982-2005
The S-10 and Blazer was arguably the most versatile and accessorizable mid-size truck and SUV on the market.
Platform: S/T-series & GMT 330

security system malfunctioning

Search this Thread

Old September 2nd, 2007, 8:43 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default security system malfunctioning

i have a 2002 s 10 4x4, 4.3 ltr. ...i just purchased this 2 weeks ago...the security system is malfunctioning. (truck wont start) this has happened 2 times now.it spent a day at the dealership and mechanic cold not find problem. it didnt through any codes so he could diagnose it. does anyone have any suggestions or know what may be wrong?? HELP!!
Old September 4th, 2007, 8:15 AM
CF Pro Member

Default RE: security system malfunctioning

That vehicle will have the Passlock II anti-theft system which disables the fuel pump and prevents the vehicle from running therefore preventing a thief to drive it away. It's doing it's job unfortunately at the wrong time. If the security light is on when this happens to you then likely it's malfunctioning.

Basically ... the ignition switch has a unique resistance value specific to that vehicle the BCM reads and is programmed to. If someone tried to start the vehicle without the key the BCM will not see that signal from the switch and shut down the fuel pump.

You likely have two options :

1 - replace the ignition switch ... this will require reprogramming the new switch with BCM which is a dealer fix.

2 - bypass the security function from the switch by inserting the same resistance value ( within 1% ) but this defeats the intended purpose of the anti-theft
Old September 4th, 2007, 11:17 AM
CF Beginner

thanks golfer!! do you or anyone else know about replacing the ignition, cost & time involved. i know you said it would be a dealer repair. i was just trying to get an idea of the details. also, more info on the by-pass thing. thanks so much!!
Old September 4th, 2007, 5:25 PM
CF Pro Member

I'll send some info. via PM.
Old August 16th, 2010, 11:22 AM
CF Beginner

hi, i am having a similar problem with my 99 chevy s10 blazer..... im extremely frustrated with it... i hav tried several different things 2 fix mine and hav gotten no where with tha damn thing.... about 2 wks ago i went 2 several different places and it was runnin fine until i came 2 my last stop 4 tha day and i cut it off , it sat 4 bout an hour , i went 2 start it 2 leave and it would crank but wouldn't start . i thought it was tha fuel pump but i hav ran a hot wire 2 tha fuel pump and it squirts gas everywhere. i hav checked all tha fuses and relays their all good , i hav changed the ignition switch module, the oil pressure switch so on and so on. my problem is no power getting 2 my fuel pump. the gas gauge isn't even reading. a friend of mine tugged on the grey wire running to/from the fuel pump and it started and ran great til we got 2 the store and it was shut off. it did the same thing again so he pulled on that wire again, but nothing . i had a key made @ walmart and i used it 2 drive home 2 wks b4 all this happened and it was doing fine with it , i have called the dealership 2 ask them bout my problem and questioned whether the key that i had made @ walmart would have caused the security system 2 shut the fuel pump down cause of the key being different, they said that it would hav shut everything down the day that i 1st tried the new key. i am @ witts end with this.... i'm thinking that it might be a short in the main power source to the fuel pump..... please help b4 i blow the thing up .... if you or any1 else has a solution or a fix 4 my problem please please let me know.... here is my direct e-mail please reply 2 it.... luckibear3@yahoo.com
Old February 14th, 2011, 12:16 PM
CF Beginner

I have the same problem with my 98 Chevy Lumina. Unfortunately, I have to pay to fix on a car that is nearing its end of life. I understand this kind of technology on a sports car a high end vehicle, but it is frustrating because it is going to cost almost $600 to replace the ignition switch and I am told the Dealer is the only one who can do this repair. It would be nice if you could get one out of a junkyard, but then who would install it?
Old April 27th, 2015, 10:54 PM
CF Beginner

Default Not turning over

My 1995 Chevy 1500 truck stock alarm will not let it start. Already checked battery and connections. Alarm has switch, clicker and button. Already tried different combinations between them.
Old January 11th, 2016, 9:46 PM
CF Beginner

my 2002 chevy s10 had a dead battery when I replaced the battery and tried to start it I got a few short beeps than the horn and lights were going off and that was from just opening the door when you turn the key to try and start it ther is nothing motor doesn't turn over at all getting conflicting answers from the dealer just wondered if someone could help me
Old January 30th, 2023, 7:47 AM
CF Beginner

Default Ignition switch relearn

I looked on YouTube and found that I don't have to take my van to the "stealership" to reprogram the ignition switch. From everything I've been able to find it's a pretty simple process and no need to go to the stealership or a locksmith. The numerous videos all show basically the same process. 1. Turn the key to the "run" position for 10 minutes. 2. Turn to "off"3. Turn key to "run" for 10 minutes. ​​​​​​​4. Turn key to "off".5. Turn key to "run" for 10 minutes. 6. Turn to "off". 6. Start vehicle. ​​​​​​​​​​​​​​
Old June 6th, 2023, 12:30 PM
CF Beginner

Default Passloc

Honestly the DEALER IS NOT NEEDED TO REPROGRAM THIS SECURITY!
ALL U MUST DO IS KEY ON FOR TEN MIN. KEY OFF TEN SECONDS KEY ON TEN MIN KEY OFF TEN SECINDS KEY ON TEN MIN KEY OFF TEN SECONDS A TOTOAL OF THIRTY MIN AND THIRTY SECONDS. THIS IS ALL THE DEALER WILL DO IT IS THE RESET RELEARN PROCESS.
A NEW IGNITION IA VERY EASY ALSO TAKE U STEERING WHEEL COVERS OFF INSERT UR KEY THERE IS A SMALL HOLE RIGHT ON TOP OF WHERE UR KEY GOES TAKE A BOBBY PIN IR SOMETHING THAT WILL FIT IN THE HOLE ROLL UR KEY ALL THE WAY IBER WHILE U INSERT SOMETHIH INTO THE HOLE AND SLIGHTLY OULL OUTWARD THE CYLINDER SHOULD SLIDE OUT INSERT NEW ONE RUN RELEARN

Quick Reply: security system malfunctioning