S-10 & Blazer 1982-2005
The S-10 and Blazer was arguably the most versatile and accessorizable mid-size truck and SUV on the market.
Platform: S/T-series & GMT 330

4.3l blazer puts smoke out on start up i paid to ask a mechanic i hope this can help

Search this Thread

Old May 25th, 2017, 1:33 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4.3l blazer puts smoke out on start up i paid to ask a mechanic i hope this can help

i cannot figure what the problem with my...
i cannot figure what the problem with my 2001 blazer ls 4.3l rwd is on start up the exhaust puts a sort of big puff of white smoke out after sitting for a couple of hours. i know i dont have problems with the oil rings and valves because i have done a pressure test on all 6 cylinders each cylinderhas 120+ psi so i dont have any compression loss but it seems to be putting out a white cloud only on start up after sitting for a few hours i was thinking it might be the intake gasket but im not sure. can you help me please?
25 May 2017 02:13

25 May 2017 02:17
Pete Pete
Chevy Mechanic
Hi my name is Pete and I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

Intake gasket leaks are very common as the gaskets used were a poor design that shrunk or collapsed after several miles and causes oil and coolant to sometimes leak into a cylinder port.But the biggest issue with this smoke on start up is valve seals leaking.The valves may be sealed as per your pressure test but the seals can leak and allow oil to leak down in the valve cover past the seal onto the top of the valve.The more it sits usually the more smoke.Then on start up this oil is quickly burned off causing the smoke issue briefly.I have had to go through and replace the valve seals.Valve seals leaking will not affect compression or psi that a cylinder holds/leak down testing.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete