S-10 & Blazer 1982-2005
The S-10 and Blazer was arguably the most versatile and accessorizable mid-size truck and SUV on the market.
Platform: S/T-series & GMT 330

Speedometer and Odometer

Search this Thread

Old March 23rd, 2016, 7:42 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Speedometer and Odometer

Hello tennessez here!
As name implies I live in East Tennessee!
I own a 1999 Chevy S-10 4Cyl, 2WD, 5 Speed ( By the way, is this considered a First or Second generation??)
Factory Radio quit working quite a while ago so a day or so ago, I asked a friend who also owns a garage to check it out, he called me said the radio ( Stock) was bad, but he had a good used radio he could put in,I told him go ahead, he calls me later says its ready and sure enough radio works fine, so I drive a mile or so down the road and notice that the Speedometer isn't working now! Neither is the Odometer, all other gauges are working, and the Speedometer and Odometer had worked BEFORE he removed the old radio and installed new one, so, he goes over all the wiring thinking maybe something was accidentally unplugged during radio installation ( It wasn't) ,I think he said there were only 2 plug ins in back of instrument panel and both were fine, so he thinks maybe for some reason the Speed Sensor went bad ( ??) so he gets a new one , Nope,still no Speedometer or Odometer?? So he installs something I dont even understand, a test instrument of some type and says he is getting a "Pulse" or Signal" in wiring , but no Speedometer or Odometer.still...anyone ran into a thing like this before??? I really appreciate the help! I need the truck back by Friday and am stressed out that Speedometer isn't going to be fixed by then. I long for the days of a simple Speedometer "Cable"!!HELP!!!! Thanks!