S-10 & Blazer 1982-2005
The S-10 and Blazer was arguably the most versatile and accessorizable mid-size truck and SUV on the market.
Platform: S/T-series & GMT 330

Testing the fuel pump S-10 Chevy pickup

Old August 29th, 2010, 10:58 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Testing the fuel pump S-10 Chevy pickup

Hey Guys, new here and new to Chevy pickups. I just picked up a 1995 S-10 however it does not start. When I turn the key to ACC I do not hear the fuel system pressurizing. I assume it's the fuel pump. Are there any test that i can i run other then turning the key? Anyone know where the relay/fuse is for it? I'd hate to have to drop the tank to find out it was an easy fix.

By the way I have already changed the fuel filter on the pickup.. Thank you in advance.
Old September 5th, 2010, 11:07 AM
CF Pro Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

pull the fuel pump relay, and replace, also check the fuse for it, if they check out, drop the tank and clean up the ground, if all good you can pull the pump and put power to it direct from the batt with a couple wires
Old September 11th, 2010, 8:42 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by 2wd-K5
pull the fuel pump relay, and replace, also check the fuse for it, if they check out, drop the tank and clean up the ground, if all good you can pull the pump and put power to it direct from the batt with a couple wires
Thanks dude. Can you point me in the right direction. I don't know where the fuel pump relay is located nor the fuse. I'm gonna drop the tank tomorrow.
Old September 12th, 2010, 3:21 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by 2wd-K5
UPDATE: Since the s10 pickup is a 1995 after doing a little bit of a google search i was able to locate where the fuel pump relay is... Correct me if i am wrong, but I opened up the glove box and removed the cover that says "RELAY" i read that the 2 relays on the left side are for the fuel pump relay and fuel control relay.. The one on the far right is for the horn. I tested the relays by pulling them out and popping them into the horn side. I then tried to honk the horn, but it wouldn't sound. I doubt that all three of the relays are bad, however i can't explain why the horn won't sound. Is there anything else i can do to test these relays..?

I checked the fuse box to make sure that the horn fuse wasn't blown and it's not.. I'm trying to do everything that i can before having to drop the tank... Can anyone confirm that the relays that i've tested are the correct ones for the fuel pump?

Diagram of how the relay's are set up

| relay |.....|relay|.....|relay|

fuel pump....fuel control....horn ??
Old September 12th, 2010, 4:35 PM
CF Pro Member

never know they could all be blown test them at an auto parts store if thats the case though and they are all blown, then there may be another problem like a ground or something that is blowing all the relays though
Old September 29th, 2010, 5:46 PM
CF Beginner

Hey guys just an update.. I dropped the fuel tank and replaced the fuel pump.. That pump and the inside of the tank were soooooo bad that i had to get a new tank. I put everything back together and in place. I turned the key to ACC to see if the pump would prime and wouldn't you know it.. The lines on top of the fuel pump sprung a leak. Now i have to drop the tank again and replace the lines. Does anyone know where i can get those lines or what they are called..
Old October 4th, 2010, 11:34 AM
CF Beginner

update: s10 still isn't starting.. is there anything i can check before the injectors that might be clogged or blocked? There is no fuel on the return line either.. sigh
Old October 30th, 2010, 9:08 PM
CF Pro Member

so the fuel pump works but it still wont start?
do you have spark?
is the fuel filter new?
Old April 14th, 2014, 4:50 PM
CF Beginner

how many volts should be going to the fuel pump, on my 91 S-10?
Old June 14th, 2014, 10:42 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by patastinky
Hey Guys, new here and new to Chevy pickups. I just picked up a 1995 S-10 however it does not start. When I turn the key to ACC I do not hear the fuel system pressurizing. I assume it's the fuel pump. Are there any test that i can i run other then turning the key? Anyone know where the relay/fuse is for it? I'd hate to have to drop the tank to find out it was an easy fix.

By the way I have already changed the fuel filter on the pickup.. Thank you in advance.
Hey bro. I'm mike. The fuel pump. Relay is in the clove box in side the truck .good luck.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Testing the fuel pump S-10 Chevy pickup