S-10 & Blazer 1982-2005
The S-10 and Blazer was arguably the most versatile and accessorizable mid-size truck and SUV on the market.
Platform: S/T-series & GMT 330

Windshield wipers not working like they should

Search this Thread

Old April 10th, 2013, 10:30 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Windshield wipers not working like they should

I've owned this used 2001 s10 truck for about a year now. Since I've had it I've noticed there are problems with the windshield wipers that I'm not sure what to do with.. and I'd like to get another's opinion before I have to spend any money to just get it looked at by someone who's gonna go ahead and charge me even more to fix it....
Anyway, the problem is the windshield wipers do work... but not very well. I know it's not a dirty problem as I've cleaned the windshield wipers and the windshield itself numerous times. I've even changed the wipers with a brand new pair, but I till had the same problems.. Occasionally it streaks- I thought it might've been oil or some kind of debree, but again.. I've had from the time I've gotten the truck till now to know it has nothing to do with dirty windows, wipers, or even the entire truck...
The worst part of the problem is while the wipers do work, it's when I start driving the lack of wipes get noticeable. It's like water collects on the windshield and the wipers either kind of wipe the water away or it just pushes it around... This mostly happens on the drivers side and not so much the passengers. This actually only happens when I pick up speed. Once I start slowing down and/or stop the wipers start to work again. I'd assume it's because the wiper might be bent or something... but they don't look bent- then again it's hard to tell visually if the only time I can view the problem is when I'm in the vehicle driving and not outside to get a better look.
I'd really like some enlightenment on this situation.. the best thing I can do is clean it down real good with windex and then go over it with rainx afterwords before it has a chance to rain... The rainx works wonderfully, but with the way the wipers are, it's like the rainx only works for a couple of days when it's raining... Otherwise, I'm back to having trouble seeing while I'm driving and it's always a scary situation to put up with... Thank you to anyone in advance!
Old April 11th, 2013, 8:49 AM
CF Beginner

Do you know if there is tint on the windshield? If there is tint sounds like it may have been put on the outside and not the inside, this will cause what you are talking about.
Old April 11th, 2013, 9:47 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Seems the arms are worn out & lifting off from the windshield when you drive faster. Try getting a new set of wiper arms & blades.
Old April 12th, 2013, 7:53 AM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by tymr287
Seems the arms are worn out & lifting off from the windshield when you drive faster. Try getting a new set of wiper arms & blades.
I found that interesting about the window tint. The springs on the arms could be worn out indeed.
Old April 12th, 2013, 5:46 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by wkmk2006
Do you know if there is tint on the windshield? If there is tint sounds like it may have been put on the outside and not the inside, this will cause what you are talking about.
No, there isn't any tint on the windows at all.. but thanks for the suggestion
Old April 12th, 2013, 5:47 PM
CF Beginner

That sounds pretty plausible. I'll check them out again and see about getting them replaced if I can... Would you have a rough guess-timation on how much that would be?
Old April 12th, 2013, 7:57 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you can wait a couple of a days checkout www.rockauto.com. Saw them on their, about $15 for the R/H & $18 for the L/H. Shouldn't be to much more than that at a parts store.
Old April 14th, 2013, 1:11 AM
CF Beginner

If you can wait a couple of a days checkout www.rockauto.com. Saw them on their, about $15 for the R/H & $18 for the L/H. Shouldn't be to much more than that at a parts store.
I'll definitely have time to check this out. I have to wait for my next pay check anyway to be able to get a new pair >.>; Although I might just have to get the one 'cause it's really just the drivers side that does it. The passenger one seems fine- I just wish if there had to be something wrong with the wipers it was the other way around! But thank you, I really appreciate the advice ^.^ Especially since I have little to no knowledge about vehicles...