S10 & Blazer DIY and Useful Threads This section is strictly for frequently asked questions pertaining to S10s and Blazers.

Couple of problems with my 4.3

Search this Thread

Old November 7th, 2016, 1:38 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Couple of problems with my 4.3

How's it going everyone. I'm new here, just recently picked up a 98 Blazer LS with 160K on it. At the moment I'm stuck. She seems to be acting up rather oddly. At an idle, she'll misfire continuously on cylinders number 4 and 6. With a scanner hooked up you can watch the misfire count continuously climb. However, once you give it a little gas, she smooths out. But once the RPM's drop back down, she wants to stall out. As of this moment I've changed the distributor, spider, spark plugs on cylinders 4 and 6, cleaned the MAF and checked to see if the wires were crossed somehow. I need some help with this thing. I'm at my wits end. Also, the steering is very slouched. I can turn the wheel a quarter of a turn and the truck will continue to go straight. The misfire is on the top of the list of what needs to be figured out. When I installed the new distributor, I installed it one tooth off on the gear which solved the misfire, however threw the timing off. I'm just so confused at this moment. Any help would be great.

Old November 7th, 2016, 7:00 AM
CF Monarch

Received 336 Likes on 317 Posts

With a used truck with 160,000 miles on it you should be doing a complete tune up on it instead of of changing a part here or there. The spark plug wires might be bad. Did you do a compression check on 4 and 6? Since you don't really know the history of this truck, you need to check everything.