Show Off Central Come right in and post pictures of your ride, latest modifications, etc. All makes and models welcome!

No power from coil to distrib to spark plugs

Search this Thread

Old July 17th, 2016, 7:45 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No power from coil to distrib to spark plugs

I am at a loss all. I have a 1955 Chevy 3100 with a 1978/79 305 Camaro engine. I have had it a few years now (6) and it started out starting well, then it became hard to start after a year or so and now no start at all. My brother-in-law and I have ascertained that it is not getting spark. We checked with a light power is coming from the ignition and ballast resistor side to the canister coil, but when we checked the coil to distributor there is no power and we get no spark at the spark plugs. Tested the coil with a multi meter and the numbers were low so thinking the coil was bad, got a new coil and same problem. Returned new coil put old back on. I have changed the points and condenser. I am open to any suggestions you may have. Thank you in advance for your assistance.
Attached Thumbnails No power from coil to distrib to spark plugs-100_0051.jpg   No power from coil to distrib to spark plugs-front-left.jpg  
Old July 18th, 2016, 7:31 AM
CF Monarch

Received 337 Likes on 318 Posts

What did you set the points at? Check the condition of the wire from the distributor to the coil. By the way, that is a nice looking truck!
Old July 19th, 2016, 7:19 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by oldchevy
What did you set the points at? Check the condition of the wire from the distributor to the coil. By the way, that is a nice looking truck!
Thank you oldchevy, Everything I read online read points gapped at between .16-.19. I set them at .17. The wire from coil to distr appears to be in great shape.
Old July 19th, 2016, 1:38 PM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

-key on, engine off
-with a test light on the positive side of the ign coil...it should have power at all times

-if it does move the test light to the negative side of the coil and crank the engine over. the test light should flash. if it does not flash the points are not grding the negative side of the coil...the problem will be anywhere from the negative side of the coil, points or open coil.
Old July 22nd, 2016, 11:05 AM
CF Beginner

Thank you tech2. I tried your suggestion and yes, power on positive side, no power at all on negative side. The coil and points are new and points are gapped to .17.
Old July 22nd, 2016, 5:15 PM
Super Moderator

the positive side is now ruled out. the problem is either the coil any where from the negative terminal of the coil to the points, wiring, points, condenser. something is not grding the coil.
Old July 23rd, 2016, 8:26 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by tech2
the positive side is now ruled out. the problem is either the coil any where from the negative terminal of the coil to the points, wiring, points, condenser. something is not grding the coil.
I appreciate you and oldchevy taking the time to assist. Everything is new except the wire from the coil to the distributor. oldchevy suggested checking the wire and I assumed that since the insulation looked good that the wire is good. As the old saying goes, "looks can be deceiving". I have extra wire so I will change that and get back to you guys. May be a few days but I will respond when tested. Again, thanks guys.
Old August 5th, 2016, 7:59 PM
CF Beginner

The coil is new, points are new and I changed the wire running from the negative of coil to the points and still no power. I found that one of the spark plug wires is burned on top and bottom where connects to spark plug. The heat from the header must have burned it. It did not go through but could that be a problem? Thanks in advance all.
Old August 6th, 2016, 9:47 AM
Super Moderator

not imo, but if you see a bad part, change it. You would have one cylinder misfire not no spark to all cylinders.
Old August 25th, 2019, 5:43 PM
CF Beginner

Default Coil

YOU NEED TO check continuity from the wire going from the coil to the points, if it dosent ring out the wire has NOT connection