Show Off Central Come right in and post pictures of your ride, latest modifications, etc. All makes and models welcome!

Programmer or no?

Search this Thread

Old November 6th, 2016, 7:45 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Programmer or no?

Hey guys, made my first big boy purchase this year and i went all out, 2011 crew cab z71 LTZ(which was a big deal to me considering I have been driving a 97 Wrangler all 4 years of college w a soft top and no A/C). Anyways I'm a little concerned with the whole switching v4 and v8, not a fan of it at all I just feel like it doesn't help and uses too much oil. I really want it to last especially since I'm a month from graduating from my last semester of school and about to enter the workforce. So my question is to go ahead and buy a programmer to turn it off and if so which one? As well as any other tips other than the oil changes and what not to help it last long and run strong. Thanks guys!
Old November 6th, 2016, 8:23 PM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

don't follow the oil life monitor. change every 4000 miles irregardless of what the olm says.
Old November 6th, 2016, 10:07 PM
CF Beginner

Will do thanks. Apparently if just goes off of miles it doesn't even keep a real measure? That's some bs
Old November 13th, 2016, 9:25 PM
CF Junior Member

Hello. I believe what you are referring to is called Displacement On Demand, or DoD. It can be disabled with a tuning solution like HPtuners. I am in south Florida and I use 2 copies of HPtuners. One at work and I bought my own for sidework. If you find your way to a tuner you can usually pony up a few bills and get a good street tune where along with the dod disabling you can also have changes made to power enrichment and torque management that will really make your truck feel more powerful.
Old December 24th, 2016, 12:53 PM
CF Junior Member

programmer and turn off the AFM. Raise the MPH limit. You`ll be glad you did.
Old December 27th, 2016, 4:45 PM
CF Junior Member

Originally Posted by Tucker Smith
Will do thanks. Apparently if just goes off of miles it doesn't even keep a real measure? That's some bs
the trip computer is just that. It looks at the engine controller's datastream and logically decides oil life based off of a bunch of variables. Aside from mileage, it looks at engine load, temps, time, and other variables that can have an impact on the oil's lifespan. And no collapsing the electronic lifters to command less displacement does not impact your oil's life. Nor would it have anything to do with oil consumption. So at this point I have to ask you to clarify what you meant by "uses too much oil" ??? are you not getting a lot of miles in between oil changes? or are you adding oil in between oil changes because you bought someone elses problem? Remember, in this world and age, nobody gets rid of something because there's nothing wrong with it. A lot will make up excuses to cover a dirty truth, but it does not change the reality on the ground.

If you are adding oil in between oil changes and under your truck is clean and dry, you can try pulling all 8 spark plugs and looking for oil deposits. And also how many miles are on your truck?
Old January 23rd, 2017, 4:20 PM
CF Beginner

Default What kinda programmer to get

Hey guys I have a 2008 chevy Silverado LT and it just feels gutless to me.. I also don't want the v4 to v8 mode (flexfuel). I was wonder what the best programmer for power and to disable the flex fuel option. Thanks Tyler..