Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Old August 4th, 2015, 3:46 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:
Browse all: Interior Guides
Print Wikipost

theft-deterrent system HELP...

Old March 17th, 2010, 8:38 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default theft-deterrent system HELP...

i have a 2008 silverado. i just went to start it and the security anti-theft lock is armed on the truck. i can't start the truck at all. i called onstar to have them help me trouble shoot and they just told me to let it sit for 15 minutes and then try again with a spare key. that still didn't work. they say i have to have the truck towed to the dealer to have it reset. is there anything else i can do to get the truck to start????
Old March 17th, 2010, 9:02 PM
Super Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

try resetting it..unplug the battery for 15-30 mins then try again
Old March 18th, 2010, 3:34 PM
Banned

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

One thing to try is to close all the doors, lock is using the fob, and wait for 5 mins, then unlock using fob, and start with the key. If that doesn't work, then you have to bring it in
is there an aftermarket remote starter in it?
Old November 1st, 2012, 3:36 PM
CF Beginner

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

take off both positive and negative cables from the battery terminals. Hold both cables together (where they are touching, or one on top of the other) for 40-60 sec. Hook them back up to the battery. Your truck should start after that. I had the same problem and that fixed mine after I tried everything else! The tow truck driver thankfully did this for me before towing my truck to the nearest shop!! Could have got ripped OFF BAD!
Old November 1st, 2012, 3:45 PM
CF Beginner

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

take off the positive and negative cables from the battery terminals. Hold them together (touching each other or on top of eachother) for 45-60 sec. Then hook the cables back up to the battery. Your truck should start after that. Supposedly, this resets something. The tow truck driver showed me this just before he towed me to the nearest shop! I could have got RIPPED OFF BAD!
Old November 28th, 2012, 10:29 AM
CF Beginner

Unhappy 2007 hhr

I left the lights on my car last night and battery is dead. I have messed with it so much I think I've done something to the theft deterrent system. I cannot get the keys out of the ignition (yes we tried wiggling the gear shift & the steering wheel, etc.) My key fob does not work, I've pushed those buttons. I cannot get to the battery as it is in that back end of my car & I can't get the hatchback to open up (it's locked). Anybody have any suggestions?
Old November 28th, 2012, 11:54 AM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

Isn't there a positive pust in the engine compartment?
Old November 28th, 2012, 3:06 PM
CF Beginner

Default Hhr

Yes, I forgot to mention that I put it on the charger for a couple hours this morning and still it did nothing. Also, it is in the garage, so I can't jump with another car - we can't put it in neutral to push it out of the garage either.
Old November 28th, 2012, 3:23 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by Cindy Routon Tyler
Yes, I forgot to mention that I put it on the charger for a couple hours this morning and still it did nothing. Also, it is in the garage, so I can't jump with another car - we can't put it in neutral to push it out of the garage either.
If you have the positive post up front, try jumpnig it from there. You may not have a good connection with the charger.
Old August 31st, 2013, 1:46 PM
CF Beginner

Guess you were lucky. I took both positive and negative cables off and held them together for a minute for my Silverado and still have the problem. Guess I'm going to have to have it towed.....

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: theft-deterrent system HELP...