Notices
Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Broken Exterior Door Handles

Search this Thread

Old March 2nd, 2011, 11:06 AM
rjj
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Broken Exterior Door Handles

I recently purchased a used 2007 Suburban LTZ. This weekend, both passenger side exterior door handles pulled away from the body. Is this common? I took it to the dealer, and they want $165.00 a piece to replace them. The car is out of factory warranty, but it seems to me that they would replace these at no cost on a vehicle that cost $60K new.
Old March 2nd, 2011, 12:14 PM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

Welcome to the forum...
the outside handles are not near as common as some other issues... did the handle just pull out or is it broken? it could be an issue of the cold weather causing things to shrink up....
I think someone had just posted a similar issue in the forum a month or so back so a search might give some more info... but as the day goes on others with start to chime in....
Old March 2nd, 2011, 1:04 PM
Administrator

Received 154 Likes on 152 Posts

I've heard that they're susceptible to break-in as they aren't very substantial but haven't heard of them just breaking under normal use.
Old March 2nd, 2011, 7:12 PM
CF Beginner

4 new chrome handles cost about $100 and 2 hours to install. $160 a piece seems a bit high!
Old March 2nd, 2011, 9:22 PM
Super Moderator
Professional Mechanic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

TECHNICAL

Bulletin No.: 09-08-64-032

Date: September 25, 2009

Subject: Chrome Outside Door Handle Loose/Cracked at Attachment Screw (Replace Handle)

Models:
2007-2008 Cadillac Escalade, Escalade ESV, Escalade EXT
2007-2008 Chevrolet Avalanche, Silverado, Suburban, Tahoe
2007-2008 GMC Sierra, Yukon, Yukon XL, Yukon Denali, Yukon Denali XL

Condition

Some customers may comment that a chrome outside door handle is loose or cracked in the area of the attachment screws.

Cause

This condition may be caused by grease used on the attachment screws during the assembly process, which can migrate into the handle screw bosses and cause degradation. Another contributing factor to this condition is that the initial assembly torque of the attachment screws was too high, which may have helped initiate cracks in the screw bosses.

Correction

Important
When replacing a chrome outside door handle for this condition, be sure to address the following: - Ensure that the attachment screws are free from grease before installing the new handle. Clean the screws with Kent Automotive Acrysol(TM), or an equivalent grease removing body solvent.
- Torque the screws to 6 Nm (53 lb-in).

Replace the affected chrome outside door handle. Refer to Front Side Door Outside Handle Replacement, Rear Side Door Outside Handle Replacement, or Rear Side Door Outside Handle Replacement (Crew Cab) in SI.

Parts Information

Acrysol(TM) is available from Kent Automotive at 1-888-YES-KENT or online at www.kent-automotive.com.
Old March 22nd, 2011, 10:47 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by jmzvet
4 new chrome handles cost about $100 and 2 hours to install. $160 a piece seems a bit high!
Dude, you are made of money and hopefully when you are taking off a door panel, nothing sounds like it broke!
Old September 28th, 2011, 9:30 PM
CF Beginner

Default 2007 suburban door handles

My 2007 suburban LTZ now has three of four broken exterior door handles.
I have searched everywhere, and this problem is common it seems.
Door handle connects to the door via PLASTIC threaded rod and nut. Engineering defect that chevy needs to recall, but so far they will not.
$50,000 vehicle, 4 years old, with what is clearly a defect, and they will not step up to the plate. Keep complaining. $150-$200 each door seems to be the going repair cost.
Old October 5th, 2011, 11:59 AM
CF Beginner

So there is a TSB on it apparently ^^^. Does this mean the dealers will replace if you are under an extended warranty?? My drivers door handle pulled away from the front this week. Unreal.
Old October 5th, 2011, 6:15 PM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

Faceplant, welcome to the forum...
If you have GMPP it may be covered, your dealer of choice will be able to tell you that for sure...
If you call them they may say no, if you take it in you may get a difference answer...
Old October 6th, 2011, 6:49 AM
Super Moderator
Professional Mechanic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Faceplant
So there is a TSB on it apparently ^^^. Does this mean the dealers will replace if you are under an extended warranty?? My drivers door handle pulled away from the front this week. Unreal.
The will if the chrome is comming off or is sharp.

Quick Reply: Broken Exterior Door Handles