Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Rust issues on a 2007 Silverado 2500

Search this Thread

Old August 20th, 2011, 6:51 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rust issues on a 2007 Silverado 2500

My dad bought his silverado used over a year ago from a well know autobody shop in my area. We noticed when we bought it that it had these really tiny rust spots on the wheel wells on the bed..plus a lot of tiny rust on the doors and starting to show up in other areas as well. My dad spoke with a body shop tech we know and he said there was some issues with these trucks GM was aware of...called "rail rust" because some of these cars where shipped out on railcars. During the winter the truck would be washed once a week underneath and everywhere but the bed is starting to rust out prematurely for a 4 year old car. Has anyone else had this problem? I'll include pictures
Old August 20th, 2011, 7:23 AM
CF Beginner

Here are a few pictures these little spots seem to be showing up all over the truck with the exception of the fenders and hood.
Attached Thumbnails Rust issues on a 2007 Silverado 2500-driverside-wheel-well-1-.jpg   Rust issues on a 2007 Silverado 2500-gas-cap-1-.jpg   Rust issues on a 2007 Silverado 2500-passenger-side-door-1-.jpg   Rust issues on a 2007 Silverado 2500-rear-driverside-wheel-well-1-.jpg   Rust issues on a 2007 Silverado 2500-rear-passenger-wheel-well-1-.jpg  

Old August 21st, 2011, 11:37 AM
CF Active Member

Do they use salt on the railways? Or maybe the crossings have salt all over them and it gets picked up there. Then the salt gets onto the truck and viola, rust problems.
Old August 23rd, 2011, 8:43 AM
CF Beginner

Well like I said...the truck is barely used at all during the winter...this past winter it just sat at the house but when it was used it was always washed within several days of being covered with road salt. The point is that the bed is starting to rust prematurely. The truck is only 4 years old. My dad's 99 Suburban had very minor rust under the barn doors after 10 years and 253k of driving. This truck has more rust and it's only 4 years old that's my point
Old August 26th, 2016, 7:21 PM
CF Beginner

Default Wheel wheels

Just want to chime in. I am currently replacing the Metal above the rear wheel wells on a 2006 GMC Sierra. After cutting away the outer skin I see why they rust, there is a pocket between the inner and outer fender well that holds dirt and moisture. The only way to clean it is to wash it out from in front of the wheel. There is an opening that you can reach up through with a spray wand. I think if a person would just keep it clean it would not rust.
Old August 26th, 2016, 9:57 PM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

I pull the tail lights and rust proof the inner liner
Old November 23rd, 2018, 1:20 PM
CF Beginner

Default Rust over wheel wells.

I had the same problem when I picked my truck up from the body shop I took it to after being rear ended on the highway last year. They had it for close to 3 months. My truck has never sat for that long. They told me about the double walled constuction of the bed and how water gets trapped in there and has no where to go and consequently rusting from the inside out is inevitable. So I took a look on the inside of the wheel wells and asked the first obvious question that came to mind. “Well then , what are these 3 weep holes for then?” Guess they didn’t expect me to question their line of bulls#!? they tried to feed me.
Old November 23rd, 2018, 1:30 PM
CF Beginner

Default Rust over wheel wells on the truck bed.

I researched this issue. They are weep holes but are supposed to have plastic plugs in the holes that are to be removed from time to time to stick a water hose in there and rinse out. I guess three months of sitting, after the body shop used a mixture of water and some caustic cleaning solution, was not good for the truck.
Update: I just got the truck back and they did a great job fixing it! I ran my hand inside the wheel well and it seems that they covered the weep holes thinking that was how the water got in!

Last edited by Joe Piccirilli; November 23rd, 2018 at 1:32 PM. Reason: Misspelled word.