Equinox This SUV offers a smaller, sportier stance than the Trailblazer, all without compromising the SUV abilities.

Chevrolet Equinox
Platform: Theta

Service Stabilitrak and Check Engine Light

Search this Thread

Old January 8th, 2014, 1:34 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Service Stabilitrak and Check Engine Light

I have a 2010 Equinox with less than 35k miles. Since August we have been experiencing problems with the Stabilitrak. The engine runs but we lose power. The first time I took it to the dealer they could not figure out what happened. They had it for about a week and returned it hoping they fixed it. It happened again a month later, almost stranding my daughter-in-law on a busy highway. We took it in again and they could not figure out why this continues to happen. They're not able to replicate the issue, they drive it for a few days and all seems to be working. The 3rd time this happened the message came on again to service Stabilitrak, the check engine light came on and the car had almost no power. the engine continues to run but we could not drive more than 25 miles per hr. We luckily made it to the dealer and kept the engine running. They could not read the error code using a portable diagnostic reader so they kept the car and replaced the throttle box. Again, hoping this would be the answer. Yesterday the car began shifting gears really hard and bam...error message and loss of power again. We let the car sit for an hour and started it again. It seemed to have some power but after driving it a few miles it loss power and we coasted off the highway (I10 in Houston I might add which was extremely scary!). Let it sit again for 20 minutes and the car started up again, no Stabilitrak error but the check engine light is on and RPM's were running high. We pulled off the highway to fill up and the care & ran OK, although a very scary few miles on a busy interstate. We are taking it back to the dealer service center again but would like to hear if anyone else is experiencing the same issue. I owned a 2007 Equinox and I loved it prior to purchasing the 2010 used with 23k miles. I don't put that many miles on my car and take very good care of my vehicle. We've always been a Chevy household but I am extremely frustrated and disappointed with the problems we've been experiencing and the fact that even the dealership isn't able to fix it. I am crossing my fingers but have little hope they will figure it out. Not sure we will invest in Chevy ever again.
Old January 15th, 2014, 9:17 AM
CF Beginner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default service stabilitrak/traction control reduced engine power

I have a 2007 Equinox with 76k miles. The service stabilitrak, service traction control and check engine lights recently came on along with "engine power reduced". The RPM's were also jumping from 700-1500 while idling. These symptoms would happen sporadically and didn't really seem to have any type of pattern as to when it happened or why. I do know that the engine power cutting out while I was driving down the interstate at 70 mph was not the safest position to be in as the car fell from 70 to 40 and there was nothing I could do about it.

I had the codes read at AutoZone and it came back to the EGR valve, $90 for the part and a few bolts later I was able to change it myself. Unfortunately this did not fix the problem.

I did some research online and I convinced myself it was the "throttle position sensor" which in an Equinox is part of the "accelerator pedal position sensor" - $70 for the part and a few bolts later I was able to fix it myself. Again, this did not fix the problem.

On the advice of a buddy I added dry gas and Sea Foam to a full tank of gas. While the car was still sluggish it felt like it was getting progressively better and the warning lights were off. I was able to burn off the tank without the issues resurfacing. However, I refilled my tank - added another Sea Foam, and the following morning I am back where I started. All of the lights are on and the engine power is reduced.

I am at a loss. I am completely defeated with this problem and totally abandoned by Chevrolet. In reading and researching this is obviously a common problem with Chevy, but no one seems to have found or posted a concrete solution.

If I find something that works, I will let you and everyone else know. If you get any type of answers, I would whole-heartedly appreciate your feedback.

I, like you, am ready to take my money elsewhere.
The following users liked this post:
Darone (April 3rd, 2023)
Old March 23rd, 2014, 4:17 PM
CF Beginner

I understand how both of you feel! I have had all of the same problems you have listed above. I have had it in to the dealer multiple times, and they can't ever get it to duplicate what I find. The error codes we have gotten have mentioned issues with cam position sensor, throttle position sensor, and O2 sensors. So in the past month, we have changed the cam position sensor, the throttle position sensor and the O2 sensor, and today, the check engine light and stabilitrak lights came on again! It has never stopped idling rough, and it still is rough when changing gears at times. Have either of you came up with any other solutions? This is ridiculous that Chevy has not put out a recall notice with all of the issues this car is having as well as the safety concerns with the engine shutting down without any notice and regardless of what speed you are going. I can assure you, I will NEVER buy a Chevy again!!
Old April 2nd, 2014, 7:49 PM
CF Beginner

Default Similar Issue related to Stabilitrack and/or ABS

Similar Issue related to Stabilitrack and/or ABS

While traveling on the interstate and higher speed sections of highway, my 2007 Equinox (about 95,000 miles) will randomly apply the brakes boosting the RPMs and make the car very difficult to drive. Once we turn the car off and let it sit, the problem vanishes. There is a vibration. Before we narrowed it down to the brakes, we thought it was a transmission issue. My wife and I are frustrated to say the least.

The brakes were not applied by either of us. This only seems to occur on open sections of road or on the interstate and usually after some driving time of at least an hour. The car's RPMs go up to around 3100 with the car traveling at about 65. The car vibrates and you can hear the vibration of the brakes trying to stop or slow the car. I was behind my wife the last time and I could smell something burning. I have videos of the gauges showing the boost in RPM's as well as one with the brakes smoking. The "Service Traction Control" light comes on at the beginning of the second video...approximately 3 to 5 minutes after the problem started.

On the latest episode...we got the car to the shoulder and let it sit for about 10 minutes and decided to return to the GM dealership. They have now have the car and the videos...and of course...the can't "duplicate" the issue. This is the second attempt to fix the car. It is under warranty through US Warranty. I purchased the car used at a Toyota Dealership and aside from the issue I'm having (it's not safe to drive), I like the car. That being said. I needs to be fixed.

The battery has been replaced (not sure why really...I just played along)
The RF wheel speed sensor has been replaced.
The Battery has been replaced
The EBCM module has been replaced.

These may have amplified the problem...but it didn't happen on the way back to the dealership.

Received the car again, and on the way to Appalachicola, FL my wife experienced the same issue again while heading over the bridge. I am at a loss. We drove the car extensively over the weekend. We were able to "duplicate" the issue on Saturday, Sunday, Monday, Tuesday, and now tonight on Wednesday. I dread taking the car back to the GM dealer. They didn't return my phone calls or my email. Dale Earnhardt Jr Chevrolet in Tallahassee, FL is where I took the car. They are ASE (or ASC?) certified which is required by the warranty program I have.

Any Ideas?

Very, Very frustrated.

Mark
Old April 5th, 2014, 5:50 PM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Hi Mark,

I'm sorry to hear of this concern and can fully understand your frustrations. Please let me know if you would like for us to look further into this concern for you. If any extra assistance is needed please feel free to send a PM referencing your concern. I look forward to hear from you!

Kristen A.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old April 14th, 2014, 10:05 PM
CF Beginner

Default Equinox 2011 -

Tonight my wife experienced problems with the Stabilitrak light . The engine run out of power and the car stopped working it lost all power. She was able to park with the momentum of the sped, but the steering-wheel got very hard to turn. I went to rescue her but left the Chevy Equinox in the middle of the desert.
When we purchased the car back in 2011 we experienced the same issue but it fixed itself and dealer could not find anything wrong. Now 75K miles later same issue and big problems with this car. I can see why this model will be responsible for a big accident in the free way. Are there any law suits against them for this problem?
And does any one know how to correct the problem?
Old April 15th, 2014, 2:51 PM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Hey rikis,

I am sorry to hear your wife had this concern with her Equinox. Have you had a chance to have your Chevrolet dealership look into this for you? Please private message me your name, VIN, phone number, and dealership name. Hope to hear from you soon.

Erica Tiffany
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old May 25th, 2014, 7:57 PM
CF Beginner

Default Stank literal

Anyone ever find out how to resolve the issue with the stabilitrak?
My 2010 Equinox just started signaling something is wrong with it. Don't want to wait until it causes some serious driving hazards. Our local Chevy service dept. Friday did diagnostics and found only a history of it but nothing wrong, only to have it alarm again the following day after the "nothing wrong found" test result. Odd that it first alarmed as we made a left turn, and when it did it again the next day I was taking a left turn. I plan to contact the service dept. again.
Old June 5th, 2014, 3:57 PM
CF Beginner

Exclamation 2011 Cruze LT -- Stabilitrak Issue

I can sympathize with these users on the safety and quality of StabiliTrak and how these "modern" vehicles handle. In NO WAY, should a vehicle sacrifice the well-being of the engine/transmission for the safety of it's passengers.

Chevy Dealer told me today that if critical errors are found even when driving, the system goes in to a protection mode. That's fine but if it enters the mode while trying to cross a busy intersection or on congested highway, Chevy is going to have to answer for the mortality rate of the drivers killed by stalling or slow moving vehicles struck in these scenarios.

Bought a 2011 Cruze LT 6 Speed auto w/1.4L Turbo about 4 weeks ago. The car has 17,365 miles on it. Driving on a main highway at 70 mph my check engine MIL came on. It flashed at first and I understand the severity of the flashing Check Engine MIL so I started getting pulling over toward the side of the road immediately and slowing down to check on what the issue was. In the middle of lane changing making my way over, the Stabilitrak light comes on and the console message center informs me to "Service StabiliTrak". Thankfully I was almost on the shoulder of the road (at 30mph) when my RPMs dip and the brakes seem to slow the car easily but then they suddenly caught a lot more firmly, lunging me forward in my seat and bucking the car hard.

I looked at the codes thrown by the ECM and I got a P0700 & U0100. So I'm not sure if there is an ECM/communication issues with this vehicle or if the transmission has an issue or both. After spending over 25 minutes on the shoulder of the highway, I started looking at fuses, wiring harness connections and even fluid levels just to be sure. I found nothing out of place or questionable. I started the car and the Check Engine MIL and Stabilitrak MIL were off as if nothing happened. The codes were not cleared from the computer and they are in memory still but I may not be here if this thing did this happen at 70 mph. I wanted to try and carefully duplicate the issue because I know how dealerships work. I could not duplicate the hard stop issue like what happened at first but I have been trying to duplicate the issue. The closest thing I could get is after starting the Cruze, about 1 - 2 minutes with the car idling in Park, the Stabilitrak MIL light would come on, the status console would display "Service StabiliTrak". Also, when this occurred briefly the RPMs and Oil Pressure gauge dropped but the fuel gauge was unaffected and remained at a constant level. Some times it throws another message on the console "Service Traction Control". Once in a while, these codes will flash up more frequently over the course of one drive cycle and the ECM will automatically disable the Traction Control System/StabiliTrak.

I carefully made my way home (70 mi) without any issues. Not sure what the intermittent issue is but if this happens at faster speed similar to the way it was the first time this happened, there's a good chance I'm not walking away from it. Jersey highways are crazy dangerous and I can't be throwing the dice with my life trying to get around saving some gas money.

If Chevy is the reputable company that they hope to be, they won't leave this issue go by the wayside. I have used all Chevy Trucks (at least 4) and have had a lot of success with them. I was and still am hoping that we can say the same about their cars.

Last edited by benf2010; June 5th, 2014 at 4:04 PM.
Old October 20th, 2014, 10:00 PM
CF Beginner

Default 07 equinox fuel pump

Originally Posted by AllenC412
I have a 2007 Equinox with 76k miles. The service stabilitrak, service traction control and check engine lights recently came on along with "engine power reduced". The RPM's were also jumping from 700-1500 while idling. These symptoms would happen sporadically and didn't really seem to have any type of pattern as to when it happened or why. I do know that the engine power cutting out while I was driving down the interstate at 70 mph was not the safest position to be in as the car fell from 70 to 40 and there was nothing I could do about it.

I had the codes read at AutoZone and it came back to the EGR valve, $90 for the part and a few bolts later I was able to change it myself. Unfortunately this did not fix the problem.

I did some research online and I convinced myself it was the "throttle position sensor" which in an Equinox is part of the "accelerator pedal position sensor" - $70 for the part and a few bolts later I was able to fix it myself. Again, this did not fix the problem.

On the advice of a buddy I added dry gas and Sea Foam to a full tank of gas. While the car was still sluggish it felt like it was getting progressively better and the warning lights were off. I was able to burn off the tank without the issues resurfacing. However, I refilled my tank - added another Sea Foam, and the following morning I am back where I started. All of the lights are on and the engine power is reduced.

I am at a loss. I am completely defeated with this problem and totally abandoned by Chevrolet. In reading and researching this is obviously a common problem with Chevy, but no one seems to have found or posted a concrete solution.

If I find something that works, I will let you and everyone else know. If you get any type of answers, I would whole-heartedly appreciate your feedback.

I, like you, am ready to take my money elsewhere.

07 equinox with 80k miles, just had a fuel pump recall/warrenty and now having these idle problems and stability/traction control lights come on. I see where this is all related. My chevy garage will not yet agree with me. Getting frustrated.

Quick Reply: Service Stabilitrak and Check Engine Light