Notices
Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Airbag deployment

Search this Thread

Old February 27th, 2016, 8:52 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Airbag deployment

I have a 2007 Tahoe, yesterday driving Down the road all the side airbags deployed, out of nowhere. My 6 year old was in the car and she was hit in the side of her face, luckily it just scared her and didn't hurt her or myself. Does anyone know what could have caused this?
Old February 27th, 2016, 4:24 PM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

can't say as more information is needed.

I can say the system is engineered so this won't happen. the airbag module needs two separate signals in order to deploy. the first is the impact sensor mounted on the body and the second is the safeing sensor internal to the restraint module. both must trigger to deploy the bags. a fault in either would disable the system.
Old February 22nd, 2017, 2:15 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This just happened today with my husband driving down a paved road at aprox 40 miles an hour, he said he heard an explosion like a shot gun went off, then his seatbelt locked up on him, smoke filled the cab and his emergency lights began to flash. Thankfully there were no other cars around because he was very disoriented for a few seconds, he was able to pull over but had to struggle to get the seat belt off. When he called the dealership they seemed to know right away what had happened. He was told that his airbag module located under the front seat was most likely corroded (we live in Northern Michigan) from snow and salt. Now both of the seat belts driver and passenger side are inoperable, he was told he would have to replace the airbag module and both seat belt mechanisms and possible the airbag.... Of course the vehicle is no longer under warranty so this will be at our cost. This is such a safety issue, I am thankful he is okay, only bruised from seat belt and that there was no other vehicles around where he may have caused an accident. WHY WHY WHY is there not a recall if they know this is an issue??
Old February 22nd, 2017, 3:09 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Wendie Forman
WHY WHY WHY is there not a recall if they know this is an issue??
the seat belt pretensioners deployed. This is the first i have ever heard of this happening. If it was a common occurrence, the nhtsa would be forcing a recall.
go to the nhtsa website and lodge a complaint. See if any recalls are active for your vehicle.

I see your posting this multiple times and hijacking threads. Start a new thread with the appropriate title and more people will respond to your specific concern.

Last edited by tech2; February 22nd, 2017 at 3:12 PM.
Old February 23rd, 2017, 10:15 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I wonder if this has something to do with the Takata air bag recalls?
Old February 24th, 2017, 8:40 AM
Super Moderator

the recalls are for the propellant; ammonium nitrate degrading over time in a high humidity environment. this causes the airbags- not the pretensioners- to deploy to forcefully. the fix is to replace the air bag inflators. the recall, has nothing to do with unwanted deployment.
Old February 26th, 2017, 8:19 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by tech2
the recalls are for the propellant; ammonium nitrate degrading over time in a high humidity environment. this causes the airbags- not the pretensioners- to deploy to forcefully. the fix is to replace the air bag inflators. the recall, has nothing to do with unwanted deployment.
understood, thanks!