Notices
2007 - 2013 (GMT900) Section for all discussion related to the 2007-2013 Chevrolet and GMC trucks.

5.3 stock motor

Old April 24th, 2016, 7:37 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 5.3 stock motor

I would like to get more power out off my motor whats the best way too do that and not spend alot of money
tim
Old April 28th, 2016, 9:15 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Completely stock? Add a airaid MIT intake, muffler of choice, and a Custom tune via blackbear or local well known custom tune shop
Old April 28th, 2016, 2:18 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

You're talking about power increases that may, or may not, be noticeable. Those mods might get you 5 or 10 horsepower. A tune will make it "feel" faster, if you reduce torque management, but horsepower is all about money. If you want any kind of real increase in power, you'll need to put in a cam, forced induction, headers and exhaust, etc.
Old April 29th, 2016, 3:42 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Custom tunes are dynoed to get 20-25 HP themselves dependin on how aggressive the tune is... Add headers and yes, a cam and more, you'll get more from the tune. But he isn't talkin about spendin that kind of money.
Old April 29th, 2016, 10:01 PM
CF Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd agree with intheburbs most "quick hp" mods are just a way to get rid of money and be able to have "car talk". Even 25hp isn't really going to be noticeable for a daily driver. I lost my lust for modification when the hobby turned into a career but my project pickup also got the engine yanked and completely rebuilt before I even looked into a tune. For example the K&N "cold air" intake puts the filter DIRECTLY above the exhaust manifolds (headers in my case) when the STOCK air intake pulls air from the fender well....doesn't take an engineer to figure out that the air won't be colder and the difference would be minimal, they just sound different so most people think they got results. Stock intake = free. K&N= $300 give or take

The stock vehicles now have more power than most people need or know how to manage anyway hence the reason there are so many onboard module controlled systems.

My biggest thing I like to mention on this topic is if you start customizing and modifying make sure YOU do it that way YOU can fix the issues that come with it. Warranties get voided and a lot of shops will make you pay or deny you if you have extra aftermarket accessories and you want them to try and fix your issues. Anytime I have a driveability concern with any programmers/tuners I tell them to unplug it and see if it comes back then i'll diagnose it, a lot of times it will fix the issue just returning to the way the vehicle was designed.

Last edited by cleveland63b; April 29th, 2016 at 10:07 PM.

Search this Thread