Notices
Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

2001 Suburban 496ci; Coolant leak on rear passenger side near exhaust.

Search this Thread

Old August 23rd, 2016, 7:31 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001 Suburban 496ci; Coolant leak on rear passenger side near exhaust.

One of my suburbans is leaking coolant from the rear end on the passenger side. It appears to be external and coming from one of the coolant lines that probably supplies the rear heater/AC... Is there anything important that I need to know before I start cutting off hoses and replacing them? (Like should I use some sort of special hose or does somebody have a part number for the rubber hose that joins in between the stainless steel lines?) It doesn't seem that auto part stores carry rear end coolant hoses... is there a trick name these hoses go by, or do I need to watch an episode of MacGyver on Youtube so I can invent my own connection?

I have a 96 Suburban with a 454ci - Are the lines the same, or should I start ordering NAPA coolant line and clamps? It looks like there are 4 rear coolant lines on the 2001, are they they set up the same on the 96? (It all looks like 1/2" but I don't have repair manuals on either vehicle, so if someone could help me out here...)
Old August 24th, 2016, 6:19 PM
CF Beginner

Looks like someone else had the same problem I did, and he wrote a blog about it... Welcome I still don't have any info on the 12' coolant lines or replacement connections where the leak is. (It only took me a couple of days to figure out that the coolant leak was coming from the rear of the vehicle... I originally thought it was condensation dripping out of the exhaust.)
Old August 25th, 2016, 2:31 PM
CF Beginner

Update; Today I decided to fix the leak...
The leak wasn't in the rubber hose joint but in the steel coolant line that had rubbed against the a frame rail seam. The rubbing against the seam since 2001 created a large vertical screwdriver sized slot into the steel line. I used a hose clamp to reattach the hose after cutting off the metal crimp, and then I use a combination of Oaty plumber putty (two-part epoxy) to block up/gum up the hole to be able to stop the leak. (I was too lazy to bleed the line.) then I used a rubber tape made by Super Glue called E-Z Fuse Tape to wrap the line... and brake cleaner to make sure the tape was coolant free...

Anyway... If you have a 2001 Suburban of any style, it might behoove you to check your coolant lines that run to the back of your vehicle to the rear AC/Heater (To put something between line and frame to prevent it from rubbing itself to failure.).