Notices
Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Disable Hands Free Lift Gate Feature

Search this Thread

Old August 27th, 2016, 1:22 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Disable Hands Free Lift Gate Feature

I have a problem with the rear lift gate closing on me while I am loading cargo into the rear of my 'burban. I know that it is the hands free sensor that is activating because the lights flash and I hear the warning beeps before the lift gate closes. The lift gate itself works fine otherwise. I understand that if I keep the key fob away from the rear end that the hands free function will not operate. But check the logic. I approach the lift gate with the fob in my pocket and open it by whatever means. Do I then have to place my fob somewhere else before loading anything? No way. I always keep my fob and keys in my pocket to prevent loss or theft. Not to mention the inconvenience of having to relocate the fob before loading cargo, it kind of defeats the whole hands free feature. Is there any way do disable the hands free lift gate feature? If the sensors are disconnected from the module, will it cause an error code? Would tieing the sensor's data lines high or low work? How about disconnecting the lift gate sensor module itself?
Old August 29th, 2016, 4:13 PM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

Just a thought, but have you checked to see where the sensor is and see if it can be canted or angled a bit to require a deeper intrusion into its activation area ?
Old August 30th, 2016, 3:59 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

An interesting idea. I have located the sensors, they are mounted one an inch or two above the other behind the rear facia below the trailer hitch. They are mounted in such a way as to make it difficult to change their placement. I have thought of wrapping them with aluminum foil somehow since I think they make up an RF microwave antenna. This could either disable it, or cause the liftgate to keep going up and down.