Notices
Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Heavy duty flasher relay? Dim trailer lights.

Search this Thread

Old September 25th, 2016, 11:14 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Heavy duty flasher relay? Dim trailer lights.

when my trailer is hooked up to my 2003 Sub the trailer lights are dim. Supposedly they were ok when hooked up to another truck so is it possible that I need a heavy duty relay. If so, does anyone have a recommendation on what to get?

Last edited by mx5msm; September 25th, 2016 at 11:16 PM.
Old September 25th, 2016, 11:50 PM
CF Veteran

Received 203 Likes on 177 Posts

Check grounds 1st - #1 cause of dim running lights
Old September 26th, 2016, 11:25 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

As rednucleus said, check the grounds.

If the truck lights are not dim also, then its a trailer connection/ ground issue.

Heavy duty flashers don't usually fix dim lights, they fix flashing rate issues due to the load of the trailer lights added to the truck lights.

Typically the ground is connected at the trailer A-frame as soon as it's picked up from the truck (through the connector). Ground is the only conductor NOT carried throughout the trailer by a wire, but counts on the frame to be the conductor.

If ALL the trailer lights are dim, then it is most likely the master ground connection at the A-frame area. It could also be the ground pin in the connector (either side).

If only some are dim, then the individual grounds at the lights are the problem.

Steve
Old October 22nd, 2016, 7:50 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lights work now. I believe it was a ground. I bought a new shank and ball when I bought the trailer. I don't think that the shank had enough wear to make a good ground. After driving a bit and having the trailer hooked up a few time every thing works.
Old October 22nd, 2016, 10:10 PM
CF Veteran

Received 203 Likes on 177 Posts

Thanks for the update, will help others in the future!