Caprice This full sized sedan gained infamous recognition as being the choice of many police forces nationwide.
Platform: B-Body

4L60 Transmission not shifting properly from 1-2

Search this Thread

Old January 15th, 2017, 5:19 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4L60 Transmission not shifting properly from 1-2

Hello All!

I have a 1993 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham with a 4L60 transmission. It has the L05 engine. It is the same trans/engine has the caprice/buick roadmaster.

My original transmission went out when the 3-4 clutch pack died. This trans is a rebuild. I have about 187k on this vehicle

I installed a block heater recently and then the 1-2 shift situation went bad. The TV cable was not affected during the install of the block heater.

My car still shifts to 2nd gear but only around 24 mph. Usually, it shifts between 10-12 mph. The other shift points are fine and past 25 mph there is no issue. I can only use her as a highway car right now. So I see other forums discussing the 1-2 shift accumulator and perhaps the TV cable and even the governor. I purchased the ATSG manual and it claims the following:

1-2 Shift speed - High or Low: (condition)

(Inspect Component):
T.V. Cable
Governor Asssembly
Throttle Lever and bracket assembly
Valve Body
Oil Pump Assembly or Case

Again, I have higher order shifting, i.e. 2-3 and 3-4, so no problem there. Is there an easy fix I can attempt with a car jack and the trans still installed in the car? Should I try the accumulator swap to a heavy duty replacement? The TV cable seems okay.

I don't mind throwing money at this. If I need to plan a removal of the trans, so be it but
I'm trying to find a quick fix while she is still in the car. Options? Thanks!

Last edited by JJChicago; January 15th, 2017 at 5:54 PM.
Old January 22nd, 2017, 2:22 PM
CF Active Member

Does it have a vacuum line going to the transmission ? Kick down linkage ? How many miles on this transmission ? Has this transmission had the filter & fluid changed ?

Please report back .

Best of luck . :-)
God bless
Wyr
Old January 22nd, 2017, 8:01 PM
CF Beginner

Thanks for your reply! As it turns out, I stopped by a transmission shop that gives free diagnostics. They test drove it and later told me that the 2-4 band needs to be replaced. Apparently, I only had 1st and 3rd gears. I did not have 2nd or 4th gears. They offered to do a master rebuild for $995+tax. Since I need a couple extra parts such as a new sun shell (beefier), a stronger input shaft and I'd like to have a more robust 1-2 accumulator, I've decided to do this job myself. BTW, the fluid is dark.

To answer your questions, I have a TV cable that goes to the trans. This trans has about 75k on it. It had a few fluid changes.

Thanks!
Old January 23rd, 2017, 11:11 AM
CF Active Member

If you are going to rebuild the tranny your self , check out ;

https://www.google.com/search?q=yout...ntu&channel=fs

God bless
Wyr