Notices
2007 - 2013 (GMT900) Section for all discussion related to the 2007-2013 Chevrolet and GMC trucks.

2011 4.8L Lifter Noise Cyl#6

Old January 20th, 2017, 6:26 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2011 4.8L Lifter Noise Cyl#6

Hello,
I'm looking on here and see a lot of info regarding the lifters on chevy trucks. I however do not see any real resolutions on the subject. I have a 2011 silverado LS cc 2wd 4.8L w/ 51k. I noticed the other day that the engine light came on, so I looked into it. It read that there was a misfire on cyl. 6. I swapped the coil packs from 4&6 and tried it again. It read the same however the engine light just started to flash on and off. I immediately shut it down. I had it towed to the dealer.
My question is, has anyone had this happen and how big of an issue is it with this engine. The warranty company is sending a inspector to listen to the engine and check for potential metal shavings in the engine. All prior to tear-down. Now I realize you can look at the oil and see if there is metal in there and that can be detrimental to an engine but wouldn't it be more logical to take the intake off to have an birds eye view of the situation before presumptions are used?
In the mean time we are now a one car family with varying schedules and the promise of a rental car for 5 total day only after approval of repair. This is so frustrating and stressful.
Any help on this would be great. Thanks,
Old January 20th, 2017, 8:35 AM
Super Moderator

Received 506 Likes on 466 Posts

so the symptoms are a upper engine tap noise?
a misfire dtc p0306?

-if the noise is a light tap at camshaft speed maybe a inspection of the valve train is in order...remove the valve cover.
-a dead cylinder...do a compression check
Old January 21st, 2017, 5:28 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, code P0306 noise at cyl 6 collapsed lifter the tech says, inspector will be back out on Tues. soon know the next step.

Search this Thread