Impala While undergoing many facelifts in its history, the Impala has proved itself to both civilians and police forces as one of the most capable 4-door cars GM has ever offered. Currently moving towards its 10th generation the Impala is one of the longest lasting and popular models.

2014 Chevrolet Impala
Includes: Bel-air
Platform: B-body & W-body

Blind-Spot Detection Problem

Search this Thread

Old February 14th, 2017, 9:21 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Question Blind-Spot Detection Problem

I was running some errands with my wife tonight, when all of a sudden with no prior warnings or troubles, the Blind-Spot Detection light on the RH mirror lit up continuously. This is on our 2014 2LTZ. At first it was on solid, then it appeared to change in intensity or brightness going from the normal brightness that the warning light would usually display, to about 1/3 brighter flashing at about the same speed a directional blinks. We hit the button on the dash to enable and disable this feature, but it made no change. We then stopped at the drug-store, shut the car off and the RH blind-spot indicator remained lit with the car off. We went inside, did our shopping and when we came out, the light was still on. I opened the owners manual and found fuse # 62 was for this system and I pulled the fuse out, with the car still off. The light went out. I waited a minute or two, then with the car still off, I put the fuse back in. the light came back on.
I don't want to be dealing with a dead battery on a cold winter day, so I left the fuse out, so it wouldn't run the car down. Any ideas on what to look at next with this failure?
Old February 14th, 2017, 11:20 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Do you have snowy/slushy roads?
Is your car dirty?
Even the condition of the road can affect things.

it sounds like something minor.
even try disconnecting the battery for 15mins. or so & see if it resets itself.

Try switching the left & ride side fuses & see if it happens on the drivers side mirror

The sensor is behind your rear bumper cover, so if it is muddy/slushy, the sensor COULD just be covered with mud/dirt/ice, & just need to be cleaned.

Same as if you are driving in the rain, & water is splashing everywhere, it will set off the sensors.
That's normal & not much you can do about it.

I'm going to assume its weather-related...

& even try pulling the fuse, washing your car & letting it dry, & letting it reset.

Last edited by Gravydog316; February 14th, 2017 at 11:35 PM.
Old February 15th, 2017, 10:40 AM
CF Senior Member

Yes, we had slushy roads as we just went through a big snow storm. The car is pretty clean considering.

Hmmm, I left the fuse disconnected overnight and first thing this AM before doing anything on the car, I opened the hood and put the fuse back in. The light went on immediately. So something may not be powering down properly. I'll check tonight and see if there is anything messed up behind the bumper.

I just ran across someone with a Cruze with the same problem on another forum. It turned out their blind spot module shorted out and according to their dealer "created a backfeeding condition". They did mention the new module needs to be programmed in at the dealer....

Last edited by Frank3; February 15th, 2017 at 10:51 AM.
Old February 20th, 2017, 1:19 PM
CF Senior Member

I just got back from the dealer at everything is all fixed. The module that I previously mentioned (23133813)was replaced and took care of the problem. Worth mentioning is the fact that I also needed an inspection sticker, and since the dealer decided to take care of the blind spot detection first, when they went to program in the new module, all the emission data was erased which resulted in a failure for the MA inspection process. I had asked them to do the inspection first, but they insisted to do this repair first. So I need to go back after about 100 miles of driving when the OBD Readiness will be in a state to pass inspection.
The following users liked this post:
Andrew Liebeknecht (February 18th, 2021)
Old February 21st, 2017, 7:54 AM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Hi there Frank3,

We're glad to hear that the dealership has resolved this Blind-Spot Detection light concern with your Impala. However, we do apologize for any inconvenience associated with bringing it back into the dealer for another inspection. If you would like us to provide an additional layer of assistance as you continue to work with your dealership, feel free to send us a private message.

Have a great day,

Chelsea D.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old February 28th, 2017, 5:38 PM
CF Beginner

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Around the middle of January 2017, the passenger side blind spot warning light on my Impala stayed on consistently (even when the car was off). Then the "Service Side Detection System" warning light came on. I took it to the dealer the following day, and after an $800 bill (the car had 39,000 miles on it) everything was working fine. They replaced the module (#23133813). The service advisor told me it happens a lot in areas that have slush and snow - I live in Buffalo. Everything was fine until a couple days ago when the same thing happened on the driver's side. I love my Impala, but I do wish they would make electronics last a little longer than 3 years. Since this is more of a convenience type of issue, I will just ignore the warning light. I refuse to pay another $800 to get the driver's side fixed.
The following 2 users liked this post by amlm517:
Andrew Liebeknecht (February 18th, 2021), kwhouse (July 14th, 2021)
Old February 28th, 2017, 6:36 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ouch. that's the cost of technology & more/newer electronics, i guess.
Old March 3rd, 2017, 8:16 PM
CF Senior Member

amlm517 - That's rough..... When I was looking to get mine fixed, I looked around, saw several on eBay that were a lot cheaper, but I would only look at a new/unused module. In the course of my looking around, and found that module part #23188813 replaces module part #22971841. I am still wondering if my Impala had the old 22971841 on it which may have had a problem and was replaced by a newer version with part number 23188813. Whatever the case you may be able to find a cheaper module, it still needs to be programmed to the car when installed.
The following users liked this post:
Andrew Liebeknecht (February 18th, 2021)
Old March 4th, 2017, 8:58 AM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

i have diagnosed a few of these on a dodge 300. iirc they were $1500 each...so yeah, ouch.

where they were located was the problem. behind the rear tire under the fender liner....all green and corroded.
Old March 8th, 2019, 9:09 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Same problem here

I have the exact same issue on my 2014 Impala LT v6. When the first sensor shorted out it started with a burning wire smell and then physical smoke coming out of my driverside taillight. Next my entire instrument cluster went dead. Car still ran but in low power mode. After Chevy told me it was not covered under my warranty and i had to pay 100% of costs i was forced to wait on repair. I mind you at the time i only owned the car less than 60 days. After disconnecting this sensor and replacing a fuse my car came back to life but still gets an error message on the DIC. Now my right sensor has nearly caught on fire and Chevy told me the same thing. They can not help and its not their fault. They made a module that is not waterproof and placed it on the inside of a bumper behind tires with no protection to keep water from splashing on it. They made a module and harness that does not have a properly functioning fuseable link. Otherwise the fuse would have blown before my car nearly caught on fire. Even after the fuse blew it still continued to smoke. I have lots of evidence that Chevy has put all of our lives in danger and won't own up to it. Chevy has recently changed the part number on these modules and made them more waterproof. This proves Chevy knows they have a compromise in their electrical system and this is exactly why i have a small claims against them. Ive attatched a photo of just how close me and my family came to being burnt. Contact me with any questions at plattsburghhandymen@gmail.com

Last edited by chevyguy518; March 8th, 2019 at 9:13 PM. Reason: Typo

Quick Reply: Blind-Spot Detection Problem