Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

1999 tahoe starter won't stop

Search this Thread

Old February 16th, 2017, 12:03 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1999 tahoe starter won't stop

I have read through posts of similar issues, but mine seems unique. I was having a problem with the truck not starting. It would just click like the battery was dead. Then all the sudden it started, but the starter continued to run with the engine. I killed the engine, but the started kept going. I finally had to take off the negative side of the battery to get it to stop. The starter continues to run if I reconnect the battery. I removed the starter relay in the fuse box, the starter still kicks on when the battery is hooked up. I disconnected the two electrical connectors on the neutral safety switch, still same issue. This is all happening with no keys in the car. I also took out the fuses for the ignition, still same issue. It's the weirdest thing I have ever encountered with a vehicle. It is like the starter is only hard wired into the battery and is operating independent of everything else. It immediately kicks on when the battery is hooked up. I recently replaced my wiper/ turn signal lever, so i was messing around near the ignition. I just couldn't figure out what could have gotten screwed up in there based on what was involved replacing the lever. Maybe I inadvertently "hot wired" it? Any help would be greatly appreciated
Old February 16th, 2017, 12:34 AM
CF Beginner

I am thinking the starter solenoid could be stuck. That is making some sense to me considering the symptoms. What do you all think? Anybody know of an easy way to test it or try to get it switch?
Old February 16th, 2017, 10:05 AM
CF Beginner

Almost certainly solenoid stuck. It happened on my Eldorado.
Remove the starter. It will probably need a new solenoid.
Old February 19th, 2017, 6:08 PM
CF Beginner

So I replaced the starter and solenoid and all is good. Starts and runs like a champ. For anybody else having similar, don't try to take off the neutral safety switch connectors. It was a pain and took forever to get off. Could have easily broken something and been ****ed. Putting it back on was also a bitch. Super tight fit. Might as well have soldered the wires directly on