Notices
1988 - 1998 (GMT400) Section for all discussion related to the 1987-1998 Chevrolet and GMC trucks.

More power

Search this Thread

Old February 23rd, 2017, 8:19 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default More power

I have a 1995 1500 v8 tbi. I'm wanting to up the horse power to around 400 hp. Is that even possible with this motor? Or am I dreaming ? Or would it be more economical to just try a newer engine setup ? My budget is around 4000. Any ideas would be appreciated.
Old February 25th, 2017, 3:45 PM
CF Active Member

Horse power is not the only thing to take into consideration...Before you have installed the "BIG ENGINE" ask yourself this: do you have a strong enough trans and rear to support the added horses and torque? It has been my experience that to add that kind of HP and torque to a truck or car with "miles" on it will open up a can of problems. If you are going to go for the "BIG Engine" you will in all likelihood have to "power match" the drivetrain to it.
You can get a nice GM crate motor with a bit more HP and torque and be ahead of the game. Go on line and check Jegs or Summit. These engine assemblies come almost complete and even have warranties. IMHO.
Take my advise with a grain of salt...Your mileage may vary...
Old February 25th, 2017, 5:03 PM
CF Beginner

Default More power

Thanks for taking the time to reply. I have been doing more research on it. And I will more than likely go the new motor route but it's good to get more in sight from guys like yourself. Thanks.
Old February 25th, 2017, 5:48 PM
CF Active Member

I'm driving a 96 2wd extended cab. It's all original with 335356K on it. I am collecting the right parts to hot rod it. My goal is to do the Power Tour some day in the future.
Old February 25th, 2017, 6:26 PM
CF Beginner

Default More power

Thanks for taking the time to reply. I have been doing more research on it. And I will more than likely go the new motor route but it's good to get more in sight from guys like yourself. Thanks.