Equinox This SUV offers a smaller, sportier stance than the Trailblazer, all without compromising the SUV abilities.

Chevrolet Equinox
Platform: Theta

why is the speakers in my 05 equinox buzzing pitch up and down with the engine?

Old February 23rd, 2017, 10:32 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default why is the speakers in my 05 equinox buzzing pitch up and down with the engine?

My 05 Equinox LT 3.4 Liter speakers started about a month or two wirth a buzz/hum sound out of all the speakers. The pitch changes with the engine accelerating. The only time the speakers don't buzz is when the truck is not running. Strange thing is if the key is turned to ACC position there is no buzzing/humming. I don't want to "deal with it" or spend alot of money replacing the whole system. Can anyone help me, or even started in the right direction
Old February 23rd, 2017, 11:32 AM
CF Monarch

Received 336 Likes on 317 Posts

When this started was there any electrical work done to the car? Sounds like electrical interference. Bad spark plug wires or something with the alternator are possibilities.
Old February 24th, 2017, 9:42 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 76 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by realcowboy78
My 05 Equinox LT 3.4 Liter speakers started about a month or two wirth a buzz/hum sound out of all the speakers. The pitch changes with the engine accelerating. The only time the speakers don't buzz is when the truck is not running. Strange thing is if the key is turned to ACC position there is no buzzing/humming. I don't want to "deal with it" or spend alot of money replacing the whole system. Can anyone help me, or even started in the right direction
It's not really strange because in the previous sentence you said the speakers don't buzz when the engine isn't running. The engine is never running when the key is in the ACC position.

I recommend getting your charging system/alternator checked and inspecting all the major ground connections. Is the factory radio still installed? Does your Equinox have the premium system with the external amp (located under rear seat) & subwoofer (located in back right of cargo area)?
Old March 22nd, 2017, 9:32 AM
CF Beginner

no electrical work has been done
Old March 22nd, 2017, 9:35 AM
CF Beginner

Yes I have the premium system with a six disc cd changer ,the external amp (located under rear seat) & subwoofer (located in back right of cargo area). And yes the stereo is factory stock

Last edited by realcowboy78; March 22nd, 2017 at 9:50 AM.
Old March 22nd, 2017, 9:54 AM
CF Beginner

I unhooked the negative cable to the battery for 15 min to do a reboot of the electrical system, there were other posts like this that suggested it, so I tried it. didn't work
Old March 22nd, 2017, 10:41 AM
CF Pro Member

Received 76 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by realcowboy78
no electrical work has been done
I was recommending that you get your alternator tested. Many auto parts stores provide this service for free. Your alternator may be starting to go bad. Noise in the radio is a common symptom of an alternator with bad diodes.

If the alternator checks good, then I'd suspect a bad amplifier. You could check this by temporarily bypassing the amplifier and listening to see if the sound is still there. If the noise is gone, the amp is bad.

First, have the alternator tested and go from there.

Search this Thread