Notices
1999 - 2006 (GMT800) Section for all discussion related to the 1999-2006 Chevrolet and GMC trucks.

Bumpy ride, what's wrong with my suspension?

Search this Thread

Old February 24th, 2017, 6:51 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Bumpy ride, what's wrong with my suspension?

Hi, First off, this truck is fairly new to me, I've only owned it for about a 6 weeks now. It's an original, stock 2000 Chevy Silverado 1500, ext cab., 4x4, auto. trans. with the 5.3 L motor. It has 210,000 miles on it. I am the second owner, the original owner lived in Florida and wasn't at all abusive to the truck. When he sold it to me, he didn't say anything about the suspension bothering him.

Since I'm no expert, I figured I'd start with what I know and buy some new shocks for it. My shock test seemed to fail as well (pushing down on the bumpers were shaky). So, since I like my new truck and I want to take care of it, I bought an upgrade to the OE shocks, KYB gas a just for the front and rear. I replaced them myself, greased up the front end, and lubed up all my nuts and bolts to protect them from my salty winter roads.

Unfortunately, the shocks were the solution to my front end problem(s).

PROBLEM,
So, I am wondering what is causing the front end to jump around and rattle the whole truck (it seems)? I pretty much feel ever little bump in the road! My truck also seems to have quite a bit of play/sway for side to side as well, when turning the steering wheel. In fact, one day I was at a stop light and noticed that the speeding cars passing by were actually shaking the truck. So, what aspect/part of the front suspension stabilizes the truck from the small bumpy roads? The problem seems premature to the shocks activation. I would also like to know about the swaying from side to side problem?

I don't plan on going off road much, but would like the truck to be able to handle better. I've attached a couple of pictures so you can see what parts I have.
I appreciate all your time and help!

Todd
Attached Thumbnails Bumpy ride, what's wrong with my suspension?-img_5868.jpg   Bumpy ride, what's wrong with my suspension?-img_5871.jpg   Bumpy ride, what's wrong with my suspension?-img_5876.jpg   Bumpy ride, what's wrong with my suspension?-img_5877.jpg  
Old February 24th, 2017, 8:33 AM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

if the torsion bars are raised to high the ride will be harsh. Inspect the adjustment screws and see if they are screwed in to the max position.

as for vehicle sway, inspect the front sway bar bushings and links. I have a 2000 1500 and it sways when vehicles drive by at highway speed; its normal.

As for play in the steering linkage; go over the complete suspension, do a dry park check, inspect the upper/lower ball joints, steering linkage, idler/pitman arms and check for play.

Inspect the tires for irregular wear. If any is present, get an alignment.
Old February 26th, 2017, 8:53 AM
CF Junior Member

Originally Posted by tech2
if the torsion bars are raised to high the ride will be harsh. Inspect the adjustment screws and see if they are screwed in to the max position.

as for vehicle sway, inspect the front sway bar bushings and links. I have a 2000 1500 and it sways when vehicles drive by at highway speed; its normal.

As for play in the steering linkage; go over the complete suspension, do a dry park check, inspect the upper/lower ball joints, steering linkage, idler/pitman arms and check for play.

Inspect the tires for irregular wear. If any is present, get an alignment.
Tech2, Thanks for the reply and information!

The steering seems OK, but when I have more time I want to go through everything and make changes if necessary. I love this truck and I want to keep it in good condition! I used to have a 2000 Dodge Dakota, 4 dr., 4x4, 4.7L for the past 12 years and I loved that truck too, but this Chevy is monsterious in comparison. I want to keep it as original/stock as possible, but I am curious able maybe a little lift to beef it up a bit more. Any pros or cons that might help me with this decision?

I also noticed that something looks missing to me, I'm talking about an area/rubber ball, suspension shock absorber looks missing on each wheel? I might be wrong here, but it does look like there is reminence of something left behind around a roundish metal area. I'm sorry that I don't know what I'm talking about here, but maybe someone can make sense out of it. Might even be a glimpse of what I'm talking about in one of the pictures I posted, or I can post a picture later. ??

Last question, if your front wheel is jacked up and you push and pull from top to bottom and side to side, what are you testing for? I didn't check the passenger side, but the front driver's side had some play from side to side if I remember correctly.

Thanks again for everyone's time and help!
Old February 26th, 2017, 9:31 AM
Super Moderator

its missing the jounce bumper
https://www.airliftcompany.com/workshop/jounce-bumper/

to check the front suspension for a sla suspension, the lower ball joint should be unloaded. do this by lifting by the lower control arm as close to the tire as possible. put a pry bar under the tire and lift up the pry bar, wedging the tire up. watch for play in the ball joints. push in at the top of the tire and watch for play in the upper ball joints.

a 12 and 6 oclock will check the wheel bearing. 9 and 3 checks the steering linkage.

before raising the tires, do a dry park check. this checks the steering linkage under load. have someone move the steering wheel left and right repeatedly while you watch for play all the linkages.
Old February 26th, 2017, 11:08 AM
CF Junior Member

its missing the jounce bumper
https://www.airliftcompany.com/workshop/jounce-bumper/

to check the front suspension for a sla suspension, the lower ball joint should be unloaded. do this by lifting by the lower control arm as close to the tire as possible. put a pry bar under the tire and lift up the pry bar, wedging the tire up. watch for play in the ball joints. push in at the top of the tire and watch for play in the upper ball joints.

a 12 and 6 oclock will check the wheel bearing. 9 and 3 checks the steering linkage.

before raising the tires, do a dry park check. this checks the steering linkage under load. have someone move the steering wheel left and right repeatedly while you watch for play all the linkages.
Tech2, Thanks again for the reply and info.! I thought something was missing (jounce bumpers), makes me wonder why all 4 are completely missing? Again, the truck hasn't been abused. Is that normal?

So, besides fine tuning all the other things you've mentioned, do you think that the jounce bumpers are the exact reason the truck can't absorb a bumpy road without shaking it all over the place? That link/article sounded like the technology has changed over the years, so I'm wondering if these jounce bumpers (in my situation/with my 2000 Silverado 1500) are working all the time, or were they designed to work just under heavy load/full suspension times?

Nonetheless, it sounds very interesting and I'm going to have to invest it some. The top of the line product from the link you provided are expensive!!
Amazon Amazon

Thanks again for all your time and help!
Old February 26th, 2017, 11:24 AM
CF Junior Member

The previous link was just for the rear! I really don't know what I need.

I found these to replace the front jounce bumpers, Air Lift AirCell Custom Helper Springs Kit - Front Axle Air Lift Vehicle Suspension AL52207. It does say that they don't do anything unless you are under a load. I guess I have more research and work to do.
Old February 26th, 2017, 2:50 PM
Super Moderator

i am not saying that.

the previous owner may have raised the torsion bars so high it kept hitting the jounce bumpers. previously, i posted about a harsh ride from torsion bars set to high...look into it.
Old February 26th, 2017, 6:03 PM
CF Junior Member

i am not saying that.

the previous owner may have raised the torsion bars so high it kept hitting the jounce bumpers. previously, i posted about a harsh ride from torsion bars set to high...look into it.
Tech2, Thanks again!

After further research on torsion bars, thanks youtube, here is a link to my favorite video,
I took some pictures of the torsion adjustable bolts on my truck now. I'm not sure what the positions mean, but I can tell you that the front of my truck is quite a bit lower than the back. So, it does look like some new 1-3" lift torsion keys would help my situation (level the truck and improve the ride). Anybody have any suggestions on new torsion keys? And jounce bumpers? Where to buy, brands?

Thanks again!
Attached Thumbnails Bumpy ride, what's wrong with my suspension?-img_5886.jpg   Bumpy ride, what's wrong with my suspension?-img_5887.jpg  
Old March 5th, 2017, 10:03 AM
CF Junior Member

So, the front end on my 2000 Silverado 1500, 4x4, is riding abnormally low! This may or may not be the reason for my bumpy ride, so I went ahead and purchased some new Torsion Bar Keys to help level it out. I purchased the Daystar 88-06 Chevy K10-20 6 Lug 4wd Torsion Bar Leveling Kit, it's supposed to give it about a 2" lift in the front. The kit only came with the two torsion bar keys, nothing else. The instructions in the kit say nothing about needing to replace the adjusting bolts and/or nut block for longer bolts to accommodate for the extra lift. Nor does it say anything about needing to use shock extenders. Unfortunately, it's Sunday (the only day I can work on my truck), so I can't contact the company to see if my original bolts and shocks will work. Is anybody familiar enough to know if my original adjusting bolts and no shock extenders will work with these new keys? The last thing I want to do is get started on the job and not be able to finish. I need my truck tomorrow. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails Bumpy ride, what's wrong with my suspension?-img_5906.jpg  
Old March 5th, 2017, 12:42 PM
Super Moderator

the pictures of the torsion bars adjusting bolts; doesn't look like they are screwed in very far on one side.

shock extensions are a good idea and they are cheap. the shocks will be overextended without them. Or replace the shocks made for a set made for a raised vehicle.

you will needs a torsion bar unloading tool to install the new keys. you may be able to rent one.
Amazon Amazon

install the keys and jack the front wheels off the ground by the frame. screw the adjusting screw in. lower the vehicle. measure at the center line of each wheel from the grd to the fender. equalize the ride height by lowering the adjusting screws.

You can raise the vehicle but with all the weight on the torsion bars, its a lot of weight on the screws...so i like to raise is up high unloaded.

Last edited by tech2; March 5th, 2017 at 12:57 PM.