Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Autoride question and lifting.

Search this Thread

Old February 25th, 2017, 7:34 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Autoride question and lifting.

02 Chevy suburban 2500 8.1L

Hey guys I have searched far and wide but can not find any good info on Autoride specifically that may answer my question I have. My truck comes equipped with the auto leveling autoride feature. the truck sits lopsided obviously because its meant to tow things and be under extreme load in the back. I would imagine that when its loaded down it levels out. But heres another thought I am having. Does this vehicle not also lower itself at 45MPH? IS this part of the Autoride package. If so does both the front and back lower or just the back. The reason why I ask is because I want to try and level out the front by cranking the keys some. Its just really low up there, but if the back lowers at speed then I would be screwed and the front would be higher than the back and that would just be awkward. It has 200k and its retired now so I dont much care about causing any long term extra damage. Its an old farm truck I just bought thats been in the family since 02.

Any information about this would be greatly appreciated. I would imagine there is not a lot of people looking to ask these questions as I am after a specific result. I have money but dont want a lift kit. I really like the comfort ride and the dogs still need to get in an out easy. The truck is really theirs. Thanks guys! you will be seeing a lot more of this truck is beat to hell and needs a lot of love.

Old February 26th, 2017, 12:05 AM
CF Beginner

Did I post this in the wrong place?
Old February 26th, 2017, 9:20 AM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

iirc, it has damping control for all 4 shocks but only the rear shocks adjust ride height.

inspect the front and rear shocks. all should have an electrical connector at the top for damping control. Just the rears should have an air line for ride height correction.

it uses 4 ride height sensors and will adjust the rear to maintain level position.
I do not think it does anything but maintain a level position; to account for rear loads ie towing. It would need 4 air shocks to lower the system into an aero mode for hwy speed.

if you were to adjust the front torsion bars up. the suspension module would try to achieve the same leveling and pump up the rear. if you raise it to high, 2 inches, the ride will be harsh.
Old February 26th, 2017, 1:12 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by tech2
iirc, it has damping control for all 4 shocks but only the rear shocks adjust ride height.

inspect the front and rear shocks. all should have an electrical connector at the top for damping control. Just the rears should have an air line for ride height correction.

it uses 4 ride height sensors and will adjust the rear to maintain level position.
I do not think it does anything but maintain a level position; to account for rear loads ie towing. It would need 4 air shocks to lower the system into an aero mode for hwy speed.

if you were to adjust the front torsion bars up. the suspension module would try to achieve the same leveling and pump up the rear. if you raise it to high, 2 inches, the ride will be harsh.
Not what I wanted to hear but what I needed to hear. Thank you so much for helping me out with this. Most applications I read online about this sort of thing, people were trying to lower the vehicle and no one was talking about the mechanical aspect. Just how to tear it apart. But I suppose thats what needs done after all. Thank you again.
Old February 26th, 2017, 7:00 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I have the same Sub (2002 K2500 8.1L).

Only 1/2 ton Suburbans came with rear load-levelling as part of Autoride.

3/4 ton Subs did not have load-levelling (from the factory).

If you have load-levelling then it's not factory.

Steve
Old February 27th, 2017, 9:03 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by 02Sub
I have the same Sub (2002 K2500 8.1L).

Only 1/2 ton Suburbans came with rear load-levelling as part of Autoride.

3/4 ton Subs did not have load-levelling (from the factory).

If you have load-levelling then it's not factory.

Steve
Thanks for chiming in. I have AutoRide. I assume thats load leveling also, however I don't have a good way to know for sure. Please explain what you mean. Does autoride include load leveling only on some models? I'm under the impression that my Suburban has it. I have owned it since it had 5 miles on it. So that would be as close to factory installed as it gets. Or it could be that I misunderstand what the autoride is vs load leveling is. Whats the fastest way to know for sure?
Old February 27th, 2017, 9:43 PM
CF Junior Member

Autoride on 3/4 ton models (2002) consists of automatic variable damping shocks at all 4 corners along with suspension height sensors. There is stiff and soft. Normally it is on soft, unless the computer determines that stiff is needed (such as hard cornering,etc.). Also, when you set the Tow/Haul on, the shocks go into stiff mode and stay there. Autoride was a required option with the 8.1L engine. NO 3/4 ton models had load levelling.

1/2 ton Suburbans had optional Autoride (as described above) but also had load-levelling shocks on the rear.

This information is in the service manual, or you can search the web for a 2002 Chevrolet Suburban brochure (Auto-Brochures.com|Car & Truck PDF Sales Brochure/Catalog/Flyer/Info) and see it there.

Steve
Old February 28th, 2017, 9:14 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by 02Sub
Autoride on 3/4 ton models (2002) consists of automatic variable damping shocks at all 4 corners along with suspension height sensors. There is stiff and soft. Normally it is on soft, unless the computer determines that stiff is needed (such as hard cornering,etc.). Also, when you set the Tow/Haul on, the shocks go into stiff mode and stay there. Autoride was a required option with the 8.1L engine. NO 3/4 ton models had load levelling.

1/2 ton Suburbans had optional Autoride (as described above) but also had load-levelling shocks on the rear.

This information is in the service manual, or you can search the web for a 2002 Chevrolet Suburban brochure (Auto-Brochures.com|Car & Truck PDF Sales Brochure/Catalog/Flyer/Info) and see it there.

Steve
Thank you for all the great information. I take it most people dont care for the Autoride because it limits your options?
Old February 28th, 2017, 10:48 PM
CF Junior Member

I personally like the Autoride system. The ride is smoother when it's in soft mode, unlike past 3/4 ton Subs that had a harsher ride all the time.

Unfortunately, replacement shocks are $$. I probably should replace mine (180K miles), but even at the cheapest place (Rock Auto) they are almost $300 each.

They do limit your options if you want to lift or lower your Sub.

I believe there are aftermarket kits that replace the Autoride shocks with standard shocks. The kits include a module that you plug into the harness where the Autoride shocks plugged into to prevent a continuous indication on the dash that there is problem with the autoride system (due to no shock plugged in). I know there are kits for 1/2 ton Autoride Subs, don't know if there are ones for 3/4 ton Subs.

Steve