Notices
Classic Trucks (Prior to 1987) Section for all discussion related to the Classic Chevrolet and GMC trucks prior to 1987.

84 K10... No electrical power

Search this Thread

Old March 21st, 2017, 10:27 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post 84 K10... No electrical power

About a month ago I bought my first chevy, an 84 k10 with a 6.2 diesel and 700r4 trans. Truck ran and drove great for a few weeks but the other day i turned the key and my batteries were really low and the key stuck and the starter wouldnt stop turning over despite the batteries being super low. I unplugged both batteries (dual battery setup) and charged them up. The next day i hooked them back up and am getting no power anywhere in the truck now. No headlights, no dash lights, nothing at all. I replaced starter because it was under warranty and starter solenoid since. Ive been tracing wires under the hood with a test light and things seem normal. However, I unplugged the back of the fuse box and There is 1 single wire that is showing 12 volts, everything else reads nothing (yes I checked and all my fuses are good). I have been trying to fix this for about a week now and am lost. One thing that I think it could be is ignition switch but I dont think that explains no headlights as my headlights would turn on no matter if the ignition was on or off. Any input is appreciated I am so lost please help!
Old March 22nd, 2017, 2:59 AM
CF Active Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

How do the grounds look? I've had all kinds of crazy things happen on the 6.2/6.5 trucks I've owned if the grounds aren't clean.
Old March 22nd, 2017, 1:05 PM
CF Beginner

The ones that I can see ive cleaned and reconnected but I dont know where all the grounds are. I cant find any wiring diagrams for the diesel. Even the haynes manual doesnt have wiring diagrams for the diesel.
Old March 28th, 2017, 6:04 PM
CF Beginner

Help? Anyone?