Express & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

Where ignition switch in 1988 G20 getaway van?

Old March 24th, 2017, 2:07 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Where ignition switch in 1988 G20 getaway van?

I am having a problem with hot starts, engine cranks extemely slowly, won't start. Cold starts immediately. I have been told wiring gets high resistance when hot. Should replace ignition switch but I can't find it.
Any advice appreciated.
Old March 25th, 2017, 6:13 AM
CF Monarch

Received 336 Likes on 317 Posts

With the engine hot. Run a 12 volt wire to the starter solenoid and see how it starts. That will tell you if it is the ignition switch or wiring. More likely you need to reset the timing.
Old March 27th, 2017, 1:41 PM
CF Beginner

Thanks for this I will try asap. I still don't know where the ignition switch is located.
Old March 27th, 2017, 4:24 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

OK, I don't get it, what is a "getaway" van? Do you mean a conversion van? Didn't the 1988 G20 have the ignition switch on the steering column? You mention the engine cranks slowly, but starts immediately when cold, where did you put the key to make the engine turn over???
Old March 28th, 2017, 1:14 PM
CF Beginner

A" getaway van" is what it was advertised as in the day. I suppose it is a conversion van as it has a fibreglas top. I am not talking about the lock cylinder but the actual switch component. I need to find out how to access it if it needs to be changed. sorry for the confusion.
Old March 28th, 2017, 2:28 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by beachmezz@gmail.com
A" getaway van" is what it was advertised as in the day. I suppose it is a conversion van as it has a fibreglas top. I am not talking about the lock cylinder but the actual switch component. I need to find out how to access it if it needs to be changed. sorry for the confusion.
Yes there is a lot of confusion. The ignition switch on the steering column, is a switch, when it is turned it makes 12 volt current go to probably several relays, one of which is the starter solenoid that activates the starter motor (makes it turn). I'm not sure, but I think you mean the starter solenoid. The gold/yellow part mounted on top of the starter motor is the solenoid. When you buy a starter motor, a new solenoid is usually attached.

https://chevroletforum.com/forum/att...1&d=1490728205

You can also just purchase a solenoid.

https://chevroletforum.com/forum/att...1&d=1490728758

The starter motor is located on the bottom rear of the engine on the passenger side, where the engine and transmission are connected.
Attached Thumbnails Where ignition switch in 1988 G20 getaway van?-screen-shot-2017-03-28-3.08.40-pm.png   Where ignition switch in 1988 G20 getaway van?-screen-shot-2017-03-28-3.16.00-pm.png  

Search this Thread