Notices
1999 - 2006 (GMT800) Section for all discussion related to the 1999-2006 Chevrolet and GMC trucks.

3rd power steering pump in 6 months! Why?

Search this Thread

Old March 25th, 2017, 8:33 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3rd power steering pump in 6 months! Why?

I have a lifted 2003 2500 HD (gas) with Hydroboost brake system. My problem is that I've had to replace my power steering pump twice in the past 6 months. I just put a new one on about a month ago, and It just went out again. I've checked the fluid. It also makes a bad whining sound, similar to when you have your wheels turned all the way. Even when Input the brand new pump on it was still very hard to turn while stopped. Some help me figure this out please.
Old March 25th, 2017, 8:54 PM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

the sound is air in the system or a pump ready to fail. if the sound was present when the new pump went in...you introduced air in the system causing cavitation. this kills pumps.

replace the pump again with a complete pump and reservoir; no pump only.
fill the reservoir with fluid, raise the front end and move the steering side to side 10x by hand...DO NOT START THE ENGINE or you will introduce air into the system. check the reservoir level and repeat for a total of 3 x.

when the fluid is not longer going down inthe reservoir, fill it again, have someone start the engine while you are ready to add fluid if it drops...cause if it sucks air on start up you will have to vacuum bleed the system.
what are you using for ps fluid.

Last edited by tech2; March 25th, 2017 at 8:58 PM.
Old March 25th, 2017, 9:16 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The pump has a built in reservoir. I don't know if that makes a difference. And I've always used regular PS fluid from oriellys.